The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree203Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2015, 12:16 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly
Default Rituals....

I thought the only commonality we all have is fishing.......
Different water, fish, gear, for forum folks....
But, are some rituals the same?
I realized the other day that I put my waders on the same way every time.
Completely dressing one leg, then the other, sitting down.....
No idea when I started this.
Just kind of woke up to find myself doing it....
Now I'm on the look-out for other unmindful behaviors.....
Not to change them, just to be aware of them........

Am I the only one with rituals?
What's yours?

Jim
Old 01-08-2015, 12:22 PM

mridenour will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Rituals....

I don't know if it is a ritual or not but I am always the first one to the water. I don't know what the other guys do at the truck that takes them so long to get in the river because I never stick around to find out...lol.
Old 01-08-2015, 03:34 PM

ia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mridenour View Post
I don't know if it is a ritual or not but I am always the first one to the water. I don't know what the other guys do at the truck that takes them so long to get in the river because I never stick around to find out...lol.
That reminds me of my father when I was a boy. He and my uncle were passionate fishermen, and very competitive in a friendly way. It was like the start of a Bassmasters Event. Whomever was not driving usually made it to the hole first. 20ft before car stops, passenger door is opening. 5ft prior to arrival, right foot dragging on ground preparing for dismount. How nobody ever broke an ankle I do not know.
mcnerney, Bigfly, cpiercem and 2 others like this.
Old 01-08-2015, 03:56 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future

I wondered why one wading shoe was wearing more than the other.....

Bigfly
Old 01-08-2015, 04:07 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

My old dogs, both now gone. We'd sit on the open end of the Jeep Liberty and look at the water: 'What do you guys think?'

If they looked at the open end (save for it was really freezing!) I'd toss them both back in and we'd go somewhere else. Both are now long gone but their sleeping mat/ blankets are still in the back of the Jeep. Worked for us for 11 years, why change?

Small, but good, Subway sandwich place here in White City ... Three/four mornings a week same drill. Didn't need to order, young lady knew what I was going to have, made mine, the other 'foot long-extra meat' for the doggies.

New dog now, "Turkey," how 'adopt a dog' will react will have to be seen.
fae
mcnerney, hairwing530, wjl and 1 others like this.
Old 01-08-2015, 04:08 PM

ia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfly View Post
I wondered why one wading shoe was wearing more than the other.....
Uncle Bigfly? Is it really you?
Old 01-08-2015, 04:15 PM

fly_rover is on a distinguished road

Some of my buddies pour a shot of beer into the River and thank Poseidon for use of his waters.

Yep.
Old 01-08-2015, 04:33 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Jim,

Sometime around 1981 or there about my fishing buddy and I were suiting up after night shift. We were on an overlook at a big long flat for some dry fly fishing. With no one else around no hurry as we got ready. We had the wader thing done and yes I think I still do it the same way....... And were stringing up rods, yep I do that exactly the same way. At that time one of us said, and I really don't know which, "You know Doc, this is as big a part of this as actually fishing. The ritual, all the BS, waders rods fly etc. It ain't the fish, it's being here doing it". Since we each called the other Doc (long story) I don't know how said it.

The only thing I do different is Doc & I don't suit up together any more. 5000 miles put a stop to that. Otherwise I think most of what I do could be predicted with great accuracy

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-08-2015, 04:40 PM

Fred, I forgot about the ritual breakfast at jack's waffle shop in Bishop....
State records stuffed on the walls......
Always gets me going.......right.
Don't get down enough for them to Remember my order though.
40 years of doing the same thing IS the ritual.......amen.
Now the game is, how long can we keep doing it.....

Jim
Old 01-08-2015, 05:23 PM

cochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant future

I have a tried and true ritual.

Every single time I get all geared up and finally get out on the water; I have to go pee.