The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree54Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2015, 12:06 AM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of
Default Sucker? Yes.

Well I have much respect for anything that swims, takes my fly, and puts up a spirited battle. It doesn't happen often, but a large (19.5") Utah Sucker grabbed my Jujubee Midge on the Weber River this afternoon.

Just look at that face.
Click the image to open in full size.

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 01-19-2015, 12:11 AM

honyuk96 is a jewel in the roughhonyuk96 is a jewel in the roughhonyuk96 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Sucker? Yes.

Ugly fish. Beautiful photograph. May I ask what kind of camera that was shot with ?
stenacron likes this.
Old 01-19-2015, 12:16 AM

itchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud of

Suckers put up a heck of a fight... Find them during spawn which happens in the latter part of spring... Usually you'll also find hungry trout trailing behind them eating spawn and whatever else they'll kick up during the act
mcnerney and stenacron like this.
Old 01-19-2015, 12:31 AM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by honyuk96 View Post

Ugly fish. Beautiful photograph. May I ask what kind of camera that was shot with ?
Thanks. It's a Fujifilm XP60... one of those "tough" point 'n' clicks... this was simply auto setting w/ forced flash.
Click the image to open in full size.
mcnerney and honyuk96 like this.

Old 01-19-2015, 12:38 AM

honyuk96 is a jewel in the roughhonyuk96 is a jewel in the roughhonyuk96 is a jewel in the rough

That is an amazing photograph ! Many of our local rivers are chock full of suckers and creek chubs. Some our finest trout waters have been taken over by these fish, so I'm a bit of a trout snob but I can certainly appreciate fine photography. Nice job.
Old 01-19-2015, 02:16 AM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

Poor sucker!

(that's what I find myself saying after hooking a whitey in any of the numerous places that whiteys get hooked except in the mouth. how do they do that?)

If he'd taken a partridge and yellow I'd like him more.

That camera does do a great job on auto, I've been toying with getting a new fishing camera and that is on the list.
Old 01-19-2015, 10:04 AM

userx is on a distinguished road

Idk about out west....but cleaned and then canned in a pressure cooker. Its AH MAZING. Made into patties and on bun....mmmmmm
mcnerney, stenacron and itchmesir like this.
Old 01-19-2015, 01:23 PM

klunker will become famous soon enough

we catch them like crazy in the spring when they are running. Its hard to get a steelhead when the suckers run. I've caught them on swung 4" streamers while fishing for Steelhead. If your using a nymph or egg, its a safe bet all you'll get is suckers.
Old 01-19-2015, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klunker View Post

we catch them like crazy in the spring when they are running. Its hard to get a steelhead when the suckers run. I've caught them on swung 4" streamers while fishing for Steelhead. If your using a nymph or egg, its a safe bet all you'll get is suckers.
Interesting, this was only the second one ever for me on a fly (both took nymphs).
mcnerney likes this.

Old 01-19-2015, 03:16 PM

When I lived out west ( 7 yrs ) all my native buddies would praise the heavens every time they caught a sucker. apparently the suckers are natives to some of the western watersheds and the local boys actually enjoyed catching them once in a blue moon. Where I grew up here in Michigan, when you caught a sucker, you threw it up on the bank. I'm not saying what's right or wrong, just stating what I've seen first hand from out west to the Midwest. As far as eating....no thanks on the suckers, we get plenty of tasty gills and eyes through the ice. Those are the good eats.
stenacron likes this.