The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2015, 04:41 PM

bucktail will become famous soon enoughbucktail will become famous soon enough
Default Need help on a rod!!

I'm going to make this short and sweet. I plan on doing more cold water fishing this season and my main arsenal is made up with 8 weights and above. I just ordered a 9 foot 5 weight redington Classic trout to start yesterday. I'm thinking that will be my backup. So what would be a good trout stick to be my number 1? not really looking to spend more than 300 as I still need lines and reels. Side note. If you think the CT will get the job done I might buy the non ugly cork handle Vapen in a higher weight if anyone has opinions there either.... So much for short. Thanks.
Old 01-29-2015, 04:53 PM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Need help on a rod!!

The CT will be fine.
It's not a fast rod, and will probably feel a little soft after using mostly 8 weights.
Still, it's a good rod.
okbow68 and hairwing530 like this.
Old 01-29-2015, 05:02 PM

moucheur2003 is a glorious beacon of lightmoucheur2003 is a glorious beacon of lightmoucheur2003 is a glorious beacon of lightmoucheur2003 is a glorious beacon of lightmoucheur2003 is a glorious beacon of light

There are lots of rods out there you could try, but I would suggest taking a month or a season to get used to your new CT before deciding you need another rod of the same size. The CT is not a very fast-action rod, but there's nothing wrong with that. Lots of people find medium-action rods easier to cast, and fast-action rods are only clearly better for specialized situations like tossing heavily weighted nymphs or double-hauling extremely long casts.
Old 01-29-2015, 05:39 PM

rockthief is a jewel in the roughrockthief is a jewel in the roughrockthief is a jewel in the rough

Thinking you will like that rod very much
hairwing530 likes this.
Old 01-30-2015, 11:44 PM

Thanks,

Anyone know about the ll bean pocket water rods????
Old 01-31-2015, 04:07 PM
caster o flies

This is my very first time at this, so here I go. I have the Redington CT in a 4wt. 8' 6'' and love it. Great medium action. Concerning the $300 limit, I would definitely get a TFO professional II. Wonderful rod for around $165. I have one as well that is a 9 ft. 5wt. The action is medium fast. Lots of backbone, with a not too sensitive tip. The balance from the butt section through the mid to the tip is surprisingly well balanced. You just don't get a rod tube with it. Go cast one and try it out. The action of it will also help a little more when a breeze picks up.
Mnflyfish and hairwing530 like this.
Old 01-31-2015, 06:30 PM

eastfly66 is just really niceeastfly66 is just really niceeastfly66 is just really niceeastfly66 is just really niceeastfly66 is just really nice

Did you check the members classified section here ? You might be able to pick up a first class rod used .
Old 02-09-2015, 06:34 PM

jjack is on a distinguished road

I have Classic Trout/Tempts in 3 andd 4 weight.

So much fun they should be illegal.
hairwing530 and fly_guy12955 like this.
Old 02-09-2015, 09:09 PM

fly_guy12955 has much to be proud offly_guy12955 has much to be proud offly_guy12955 has much to be proud offly_guy12955 has much to be proud offly_guy12955 has much to be proud offly_guy12955 has much to be proud offly_guy12955 has much to be proud offly_guy12955 has much to be proud of

The CT's are wonderful rods. I have three,,a 7 1/2 ' 2wt, a 8 1/2 ' 3wt ,,both are very able rods on the trout stream.
I have a 9' 4wt I haven't fished with yet.

I'm a huge fan of the CT.
Old 02-10-2015, 01:59 PM

Thanks for all your help! I've got the classic trout and it feel awesome I can't wait to cast it in the spring. I know what I said before, but the second rod I ended up ordering was a four weight. What rod do you ask? 7'10" 4 weight sage TXL-F! I also didn't follow my budget either..... But who cares?! It's going to be amazing
fly_guy12955, jpgodf and jesseanne like this.