The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2015, 06:16 AM

troutma99 is on a distinguished road
Default Suckers, Anyone?

One of the rivers near me is a small, clear tailwater loaded with really picky trout. I enjoy fishing the river even though I never really catch much, but I always notice these massive suckers (most are probably 5 lbs. and some are bigger) that just sit there at the bottom of the pools. With the trout fishing always slow for me, I can never help but throw a fly at these suckers, but the fishing for them is even slower!

Does anyone else actually try and catch suckers when you come across them? If so, what flies do you use.
Old 03-02-2015, 06:44 AM

cochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant future
Default Re: Suckers, Anyone?

I am not a fan of Suckers in general. They clean things up but they are notorious trout bullies.

I do like it when the Flannelmouth's are in spawn..Pretty fish for an ol suck lips!

Click the image to open in full size.

These fish can and do put on one heck of a tug!
bigjim5589 and mcnerney like this.
Old 03-02-2015, 07:12 AM

wolfglen has a spectacular aura aboutwolfglen has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochise View Post
I am not a fan of Suckers in general. They clean things up but they are notorious trout bullies.

I do like it when the Flannelmouth's are in spawn..Pretty fish for an ol suck lips!

These fish can and do put on one heck of a tug!
Speaking of suckers, want to get together for some of the mullet fly fishing this summer?

Jack
Old 03-02-2015, 07:38 AM

cochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant future

Yes I do Jack!

I was out on Friday (yes in that wind and cold front) looking for Red's and I saw quite a few mullet hanging around the surface. Starting to see more and more as we get our subtle warm ups.

Looking forward to getting on the water with you.

Cody

---------- Post added at 08:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:20 AM ----------

..sorry for the hi-Jack...(excuse the pun!)

Back to the original point. Just make sure you are on guard at all times! These fish were back to back from the exact same spot. The rainbow was second and it ran me down river a quarter mile.

Spawning fish typically have a different species or two hanging downstream looking for errant huevos and other materials that get rousted during the spawn.
Old 03-02-2015, 08:53 AM

unknownflyman will become famous soon enoughunknownflyman will become famous soon enough

Late in the Steelhead run the smelt and suckers start showing up. I`ve hooked a few they fight pretty good but only one over the years fooled me into thinking I had a big kamloops. The sucker went over 10 lbs and was quite the runner.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:46 AM

the_pyromaniac is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to the_pyromaniac Send a message via Skype™ to the_pyromaniac

I'm not a fan of trout, except for brookies. I don't like planting invasive species everywhere... I actually prefer suckers, especially redhorse. They fight harder and taste better. Use a nymph like a Brass Ass, something that gets deep.
Old 03-02-2015, 02:56 PM

troutma99 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_pyromaniac View Post
I'm not a fan of trout, except for brookies. I don't like planting invasive species everywhere... I actually prefer suckers, especially redhorse. They fight harder and taste better. Use a nymph like a Brass Ass, something that gets deep.
Interesting to hear, not many people would take suckers over trout. But I can definitely see where you are coming from. Almost all the suckers in the US are native, right?

Anyways, I usually try big nymphs on the bottom, but never can get them to eat. The one I've almost landed was sucking stuff off the bottom, so I let my fly sit on the bottom and after a minute he sucked it up, Too much like bait fishing for me though, I'll try drifting one right in his face next time.
Old 03-02-2015, 04:54 PM

jdwy is on a distinguished road

I caught one on a Woolley Bugger some years ago on a lake I'd never fished before. It was NOT what I was expecting!
Old 03-02-2015, 05:29 PM

unknownflyman will become famous soon enoughunknownflyman will become famous soon enough

I have caught them on the drift and swing just like steelhead on orange and red glo yarn tied as small egg sacs and larger nymphs and yes smaller wooly buggers too.

When the suckers and smelt arrive however that is the end of the steelhead season for me. If you enjoy catching them, that would be the time as the rivers fill up for their spawning time in the rivers around 58 to 60 degrees in temp. They are fun but I don`t pursue them and sorry if I came off like a snob, not the case.

Hope this helps, UF
Old 03-02-2015, 05:43 PM

the_pyromaniac is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to the_pyromaniac Send a message via Skype™ to the_pyromaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutma99 View Post
Interesting to hear, not many people would take suckers over trout. But I can definitely see where you are coming from. Almost all the suckers in the US are native, right?

Anyways, I usually try big nymphs on the bottom, but never can get them to eat. The one I've almost landed was sucking stuff off the bottom, so I let my fly sit on the bottom and after a minute he sucked it up, Too much like bait fishing for me though, I'll try drifting one right in his face next time.
There's only ONE species of sucker worldwide outside of the US, Canada, & Mexico, that's the Chinese sucker. Every other member of the family Catostomidae (suckers, redhorse, jumprocks, buffalo) is native to North America. The only species other than the Chinese sucker that is found outside North America and not an invasive species is the longnose sucker, which can live in brackish water and is occasionally encountered in Siberia. As for not many people preferring suckers to trout, I actually know several dozen anglers who are more interested in native fish like suckers than invasives like trout. The reality is that rainbow trout are listed as one of the 100 most destructive invasive species worldwide, and are one of the most widespread due to the flyfishing industry. That's why you'll never see me pursuing them unless they're the only fish I can find and I need the cash I can get by selling them to some illegal immigrants I know.

Bottom line, I'd rather catch one smallmouth redhorse or greater jumprock than 50 rainbow trout.

---------- Post added at 06:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:41 PM ----------

On an unrelated note, I personally find that redhorse, white suckers, and buffalo make a better-tasting Baltimore-style crabcake than blue crabs do. I grew up in a rural, lower-middle class, predominantly black neighborhood in central Virginia, and a lot of my neighbors would seine shorthead redhorse & white suckers to make crabcakes.