The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2015, 07:13 PM

jimalexander is on a distinguished road
Default czn fly rods

Hello everyone,

Im interested in trying the czech 11 foot fly rod and fishing method, but im not sure what line weight to get. I usually fish a 3 to 5 weight rod in the streams and tailraces of the southern appalachians for trout. We have fish up to 24 inches in length, and they can get pretty heavy.

Does anyone familiar with the european fishing systems have some advice to offer? I am leaning to the 4 weight out of habit, I would think a 4 wt rod will stand up to the occasional beast.

Thanks to all for the help,

Jim
Old 03-25-2015, 09:26 PM

sndmn11 is a jewel in the roughsndmn11 is a jewel in the roughsndmn11 is a jewel in the roughsndmn11 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: czn fly rods

I thought the CZN only came in a 4wt in the 11' length?
Try your question and searching here: Gear Talk it is mostly east coast guys.
I have a 2wtESN, 10/3 and 10/4 Zeniths, and a 10/4 St Croix High Stick Drifter. The ESN and HSD are for tight lining and the Zeniths for casting. The anticipated weight of my flies dictates which two rods I take on the water, the pace of the current plays into this, but not the size of the fish. If I can wade waist deep without working due to the current I take out the lighter two.
A 3wt seems to be the most versatile and popular weight of the typical rod models if you are going to have one rod dedicated to tight line/hybrid euro methods. If you may use it for indicator nymphing at a distance, a 4wt would likely be better.
It sounds like you have other rods as well, so I would go with a 3wt in the lower priced offerings (CZN, Streamflex XF2, Fenwick Aetos, Cortland Comp), or if you were really worried about the rod's stated weight, a 4wt specifically designed for the application with the latest materials like a HSD, ESN, or Loomis Nymph. I have never seen a CZN however....
FWIW I am completely in love with my St Croix.
Old 03-26-2015, 09:19 AM

itchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud of

If you're planning on doing real Czech nymphing you want either a 1 or 2wt line or just running line on your reel... Your fly line shouldn't really extend past the tip of the rod... A smaller weight line translates to a thinner diameter which dampens the "feel" less... Making you feel strikes better

Personally I had the 11' 4wt CZN and sent it back almost immediately... It's heavy and felt awkward to me... Plus I can high stick just fine with a normal length rod
Old 03-26-2015, 11:49 AM

sndmn11 is a jewel in the roughsndmn11 is a jewel in the roughsndmn11 is a jewel in the roughsndmn11 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchmesir View Post
If you're planning on doing real Czech nymphing you want either a 1 or 2wt line or just running line on your reel
Correct, I run about 15' of 15lb maxima from my fly line to my sighter, and then tippet from there.