The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree26Likes
  • 15 Post By Bigfly
  • 4 Post By comeonavs
  • 2 Post By smoothie
  • 1 Post By Bigfly
  • 1 Post By dean_mt
  • 3 Post By Bigfly

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2015, 10:01 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly
Default They're here...

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

Seems a bit early, but caught one tonight on the Warm river.
Will take a couple days for fish to turn to them.
Are you ready?

Jim

Bigfly
Old 05-03-2015, 08:05 AM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future
Default Re: They're here...

Oh I am ready for them here in Colorado,

Been tying Pats Rubberlegs and Jumbo Johns for the subsurface stuff as well as some real big Psycho Prince's.

Oh and tied a box of streamers for the pauses in the feeding.

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 05-14-2015, 01:48 PM

smoothie is a jewel in the roughsmoothie is a jewel in the roughsmoothie is a jewel in the rough

I'm going to fish Henry's Fork near Ashton, Idaho tomorrow. Are fish keying in on the big bugs yet? It's been a long time since I caught a fish on a salmon fly.
mcnerney and hairwing530 like this.
Old 05-15-2015, 11:04 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future

Always check the weather.....
They don't fly in the rain......
If Warm temps...nearer Ashton down to fun farm.

Jim
hairwing530 likes this.
Old 05-15-2015, 11:11 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

Awesome Jim! A fly shop reported sightings on Rock Creek, but it's early. But it's close. If it was raining tonight and forecast for this weekend I'd probably head out (with everyone else and their uncle's dogs) to see.

I think it will be early this year and should be a great year, with the low flows everywhere and no real threat of a blowout run-off. Next weekend I intend to explore a little river that I have a hunch about and isn't one of the famous local hatches (Rock Creek and Blackfoot).
hairwing530 likes this.
Old 05-15-2015, 11:36 PM

One thing I've noticed about fishermen.....All fishermen......not aimed at forum members...
They often fish like last year or any past year of good memory....
(Back in 72 on the 4th of July, by that big rock with a royal whatever and hooked a piggy............)
This approach is super common and not likely to help you succeed.
This is a new year....as each year is......don't fish the past..........
Drought years are especially different from hoped for historic patterns.
And although the drought isn't as bad as further west....it's here too. "Lower than normal snow pack".

It will be raining for a few days...
I'd wait till it's warmer.....haven't seen one since it cooled off. (It actually snowed a bit last night, then flash melted...)
I think Pteranarcys need at least 56+ deg to make rapid muscle movement, ie...fly. The fish won't be looking up if the bugs aren't flying.
And your idea Dean, of other less known water is a better idea.
Salmon flies bring the "fish hero's" out of the woodwork.
Fish hero is defined in one way at least, "as a fisherman that waits for it to be easy fishing, and then crows about their fishing acumen"...
( These are personally learned lessons....)
Timing a Salmon fly emergence...Is like shooting a sitting duck and bragging about the shot.....hardly a test...
So it's a bit too crowded for the rest of us to enjoy. I'd say hike waters not boat-able.....folks that just want a fish, don't walk far....
Think bumper boats and spooked fish.......say 20-30+ boats over 2-3 miles....
I'll be out rowing in the rain tomorrow, not fishing a dry (Nymphing) because fish "can't quit eating and can't leave the water", and because fewer boats will be out with me. I need the room to get my row on.....
I gave an early alert, about 10 days ago....and gave photo proof in case you might doubt the report....now, the word is out.
Good luck to all......

And remember, that a shop report is to sell flies....I report the first bug I see, which gives you time to roll out before everyone else...
I hope...

Jim
dean_mt, hairwing530 and smoothie like this.

Last edited by Bigfly; 05-16-2015 at 09:15 AM.