The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree58Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2015, 07:40 PM

mttdmrs is on a distinguished road
Default Dream Fly Fishing Trip for Father/Son

Hey Folks-

New to the forum and have been slowly digesting the incredible amount of information here. I'm looking for some advice on a vacation for me and my dad to go on in the next year or two.

A little background:

My dad and I really enjoy fly fishing for panfish here in Wisconsin and I often go trout fishing on some local streams. I think it would be amazing to surprise him with a fly fishing vacation. This would be a celebration for his upcoming retirement, a thank you for helping me through college, being a great friend and father, and a trip to celebrate the life my grandfather who recently passed away from cancer. My grandfather was an avid fly fisherman who was never happier than he was with a rod in his hand and instilled a passion for the water into my dad and me. I can't think of a better way to remember him than spending time with my father, enjoying a sport that the three of us love.

I would love to go on a steelhead, or trophy trout trip, but don't really know where to start. I have so many questions and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

-What species would you target for a trip? I'd love a 'numbers trip' with some shots at trophy fish.
-What are some recommended rivers to start looking at? Any lodges you've had good experiences with? Best time of year?
-What can I expect to spend on a trip like this? I'm hoping to keep it <$3,000, but willing to spend more for a once-in-a-lifetime trip.
-What would we need to bring on a guided trip? We have a few 4-5 wt fly rods, but guessing we might need something more adequate for this trip. Would a guide have everything we need?
-Anything else I'm missing or additional advice?

Sorry for the long-winded first post, but I really want to make this special. Thank you in advance for the advice and best of luck on the water this year!

Matt
Old 05-18-2015, 08:57 PM

siege has a reputation beyond reputesiege has a reputation beyond reputesiege has a reputation beyond reputesiege has a reputation beyond reputesiege has a reputation beyond reputesiege has a reputation beyond reputesiege has a reputation beyond reputesiege has a reputation beyond reputesiege has a reputation beyond reputesiege has a reputation beyond reputesiege has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dream Fly Fishing Trip for Father/Son

If you pick an area, then you can Google the guide services that serve it. They are all happy to send brochures.
For your destination consideration : A trip to Yellowstone National Park, Jackson Hole, and Grand Teton National park. If you take a look on the map, you can see a lot of great fishing, world class scenery, and a taste of the west, all with in a short distance of each other.
If you had some time left, you'd be in "striking distance" ( pun intended ) of plenty of public access, guided and unguided fishing in SE Idaho on the Snake and Teton rivers, or a jaunt up to SW Montana, to wet a line in the Madison, Gallatin, and Jefferson.
It's all world class.
Old 05-18-2015, 10:57 PM

huntschool is on a distinguished road

I think your idea is great but it would be easier for you if you set a full budget. $3000.00 is a good number if that for the fishing and lodging. Include food and travel now.......

There are great areas in the lower midwest like the White and the Norfork in an AR area that can provide great fishing with guides for both trout and smallmouth bass in the numbers and trophy catagory.

I would also consider the western states like WY, MT etc. There are excellent guides and fishing there.

Take your time, do the research and work through the options......

Good luck and good for you thinking of your Dad......
cpiercem and mttdmrs like this.
Southeastern Illinois College
Shotgun/Pistol Team Coach
NSCA Level III Instructor
Old 05-18-2015, 11:25 PM

sndmn11 is a jewel in the roughsndmn11 is a jewel in the roughsndmn11 is a jewel in the roughsndmn11 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mttdmrs View Post
-Anything else I'm missing
What is a dream trip for you guys? What experience are you looking for?
Speaking just for places within 4hrs of Denver you can run across secluded places that define the mountain west to some, find places to float, find colorful tailwater beasts, etc. Some might call a trophy a heavily pressured fish that takes a technical presentation, some might call it the 18" wild football, some wouldn't call a trout a trophy unless it is both a beast and a picky technical fish.
Colorado can give it all to you, as I'm sure any of the other mountain states can.
Give us a narrower scope of what YOU are looking for, and the advice you will get will be a great deal better.

-What species would you target for a trip? I'd love a 'numbers trip' with some shots at trophy fish.
I would target wild fish that don't see a lot of pressure.
-What are some recommended rivers to start looking at? Any lodges you've had good experiences with? Best time of year?
Fall, it's pretty.
-What can I expect to spend on a trip like this? I'm hoping to keep it <$3,000, but willing to spend more for a once-in-a-lifetime trip.
I don't know what plane tickets cost, but $2k could probably land you four guided days. That is a wealth of fishing knowledge, and a smarter thing to do would be to match a guided day followed up with two unguided days on the same water.
-What would we need to bring on a guided trip? We have a few 4-5 wt fly rods, but guessing we might need something more adequate for this trip. Would a guide have everything we need?
They should provide everything you need. I wouldn't worry about bringing flies ahead of time, unless you tie, and just pick up what you need from the fly shop after your guided trip. When looking for guides, pay attention to who provides the flies, tippet, rods, etc at no extra cost. Two different shops might be listed at the same price but one might only ask that you bring your own license and sunglasses, while the other might have you buy flies, rent waders, etc....those things add up. When you get your area narrowed down, don't be afraid to call around to shops OUTSIDE where you have decided. Permits can be limited for certain waters, and shops with a good reputation might not have the paper to guide there but certainly will know who THE guide is for that water. A special rod investment is probably not needed.
-Anything else I'm missing or additional advice?
If you get overwhelmed with the choices, pick a state, throw a dart, draw a 2hr circle around it, and I am sure some great memories will be made.
cpiercem and mttdmrs like this.
Old 05-19-2015, 01:12 AM

GrtLksMarlin is a name known to allGrtLksMarlin is a name known to allGrtLksMarlin is a name known to allGrtLksMarlin is a name known to allGrtLksMarlin is a name known to allGrtLksMarlin is a name known to all

Welcome to the forum and I have one question before I answer....How much "time" can you both take at the same time?

B.E.F.
Hardyreels, fredaevans and mttdmrs like this.

-To conserve and protect our sporting outdoor heritage
----through responsible wildlife and natural resource
---------stewardship, and educated ethical use.
Old 05-19-2015, 02:44 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrtLksMarlin View Post
Welcome to the forum and I have one question before I answer....How much "time" can you both take at the same time?

B.E.F.
My question too; Western Montana. You could spend a month and not fish all the 'good water.' I'm not even going to discuss the eastern half unless you have two months.

fae
rockriver and mttdmrs like this.
Old 05-19-2015, 06:23 AM

wolfglen is a jewel in the roughwolfglen is a jewel in the roughwolfglen is a jewel in the roughwolfglen is a jewel in the rough

Is the question 1. Where to go for catching fish or 2. Where to go for the aesthetics?

If it's about the later, I would suggest the Beaverkill or Battenkill. Both are deeply steeped in our countries angling heritage and both have a wonderful fly fishing museum.

Jack
mttdmrs likes this.
Old 05-19-2015, 07:57 AM

mttdmrs is on a distinguished road

I really appreciate all of the responses so far. I know that I my request was pretty ambiguous--with so many great options in this country, it can be pretty overwhelming on where to start looking. I guess I was picturing a trip to WY, MT, ID, CO, or the Pacific Northwest; somewhere off-the-grid with world-class scenery. My Dad will be retired soon so he'll have all the time in the world, but I am hoping to just take a week off of work, so I was thinking a day or two of travel both ways, with 4-5 days of fishing. This limits our ability to hop around a whole lot, so I'd be looking to target one specific area for that time.

My Dad hasn't really trout fished before so we are probably looking for a trip that doesn't require a lot of technical expertise (something I'm severely lacking too ) and have a guide that can show us the ropes.

Again, thank you so much for the advice thus far. The generosity and sharing of information on this forum is unlike any place I've found on the Internet.
Old 05-19-2015, 08:46 AM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

Dream trip? I've been to Yellowstone N.P. a handful of times over the past few years and still dream about it every day. Fly fishing, and more!

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 05-19-2015, 11:13 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by stenacron View Post
Dream trip? I've been to Yellowstone N.P. a handful of times over the past few years and still dream about it every day. Fly fishing, and more!
Yellowstone NP in July/August would be a great trip. If your father has never been there, spend at least one day touring around in the car looking at all the sites and wildlife, but you might save that as an option for a rainy day and plan your fishing on the sunny days. You could reserve a hotel room within the park, but you will need to do that at least six months in advance, they fill up fast. My favorite fly shops that do guided trips are The Parks Fly Shop and Blue Ribbon Flies.
Parks' Fly Shop Home: fly fishing yellowstone, yellowstone fishing guides, yellowstone fly shop

Shop Online

Here is my trip report from last year's trip:
Fly Fishing Yellowstone NP