The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree12Likes
  • 5 Post By nevadanstig
  • 2 Post By mcnerney
  • 1 Post By mirabelasunshine
  • 1 Post By nevadanstig
  • 2 Post By huntschool
  • 1 Post By nevadanstig

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2015, 07:19 PM

nevadanstig has a spectacular aura aboutnevadanstig has a spectacular aura about
Default Tough Day, But New Personal Best

Got to get out on the Truckee for about 4 hours today. First 5 minutes, on the first run, hooked a good trout in the 16" range that threw the hook mid-flight. Worked a few more pools and runs then managed to get a 6-7" baby bow. But then about 30 feet down from that managed to get a new PB brownie, about 14-16" or so:
Click the image to open in full size.

Feeling good about that one. Went farther down, found a series of two awesome looking pools. 5 minutes into the first pool I hooked into the biggest trout of my life. Large carp sized. At LEAST 26", probably a good bit larger. had him well hooked, but it took a good run that snapped my 5X tippet like string cheese Continued on that pool, lost a small trout in the 10" range. Second pool hooked into a nice 16" or so trout again, but again a thrown hook while in flight! Not too long after that, wind and some distant thunder pushed me off the water. I think I'm stepping up to a 3X leader/tippet combo next trip to sportsman's.

Last edited by nevadanstig; 06-06-2015 at 08:55 PM. Reason: Fat fingers
Old 06-06-2015, 07:59 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tough Day, But New Personal Best

Sounds like a great day on the water, congrats! Those big fish sure get the adrenaline going don't they.
Hardyreels and nevadanstig like this.

Old 06-06-2015, 08:52 PM

mirabelasunshine is just really nicemirabelasunshine is just really nicemirabelasunshine is just really nicemirabelasunshine is just really nice

Cool! Always fun when you hook a real beast, and completely astonishing when you manage to land one. That's one thing that never gets old.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 06-06-2015, 08:54 PM

nevadanstig has a spectacular aura aboutnevadanstig has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Sounds like a great day on the water, congrats! Those big fish sure get the adrenaline going don't they.
I don't care how much time I've spent fishing in my life, I still turn in to a little kid when I get a good fish I just hate leaving a double nymph rig in one's mouth. The local fly shop set me up with 4x leaders and 5x tippet when I first started and told me that's what they recommend. But I got to chat with a local guide recently that told me he goes with 3X all around and the fish aren't line shy here. I'm really thinking I'm going to be following suit.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 06-06-2015, 11:04 PM

huntschool is on a distinguished road

I dont know that anyone will agree but I have found over many years the salt water tactic of dropping my rod to the fish at a jump produces fewer shake offs.......

I lost a hell of a fish in Dec. on the Norfork in AR because it came to the surface and I did not drop the rod..... Barbless hook also.

Thats a great Brown by the way.....
Hardyreels and nevadanstig like this.
Southeastern Illinois College
Shotgun/Pistol Team Coach
NSCA Level III Instructor
Old 06-06-2015, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntschool View Post
I dont know that anyone will agree but I have found over many years the salt water tactic of dropping my rod to the fish at a jump produces fewer shake offs.......

I lost a hell of a fish in Dec. on the Norfork in AR because it came to the surface and I did not drop the rod..... Barbless hook also.

Thats a great Brown by the way.....
Thank you! I do consciously try to at least ease off the tension when they decide to go airborn, but dont know how much or how quick I'm actually doing it or dropping the rod. Im also just starting to think its part of the game going barbless with flies. I mostly use to bass fish, and I dont think comparing a single barbless nymph to a cranker with 6 or more barbed hooks on it is fair haha. I still beat myself up a little bit over all the lost fish though. That being said I'd still rather just flat out lose one rather than have one actually break off and keep the fly.
cpiercem likes this.