The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2008, 05:07 PM

panfisher1125 is on a distinguished road
Default trout question

when you guys fish for trout, whats you favorite technique? streamers, nymphs etc.?
Old 03-22-2008, 05:58 PM

Greenwood will become famous soon enoughGreenwood will become famous soon enough
Default Re: trout question

If you check out the thread "Which fly would you choose", you'll find the answer isn't very conclusive! Although it does seem that the region you fish in, the type of water you're fishing and the size of the trout that live there have a pretty strong bearing on the choices! You could start by reading some of the answers in that section.

What area are you from and what waters would you be fishing?
Old 03-22-2008, 06:09 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I am going to say, it depends on Stillwater or River, but I will use nymphs on both, I rarely us streamers on rivers (I know I should, but I usually use bamboo, so I don't)
Lakes however, streamers are a must!
Old 03-22-2008, 06:50 PM

Location: Bozeman, MT and Sheridan, WY but now Houston, Texas
MTskibum has a spectacular aura aboutMTskibum has a spectacular aura about

I pretty much only fish streamers, i would catch more fish if i fished nymphs more, but i enjoy throwing large flies.
Old 03-22-2008, 07:14 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

When guiding clients here on the Snake I use dries about 85%- 90% of the time. When fishing myself I use streamers unless there is a good hatch going on, then I'll switch rods and tactics. When float fishing I always have my 5wt ready to go with dries. I use my 6wt for streamers.

When I lived on the Main Line outside Philly I fished mainly dries and nymphs. Size of the water and the fish are factors to consider. As well as insect activity.

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 03-22-2008, 11:43 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

On rivers and streams I like to fish dries. site fishing with nymphs being a close second choice option.
For lakes it would be streamers.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 03-22-2008, 11:49 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

Strykr;

Haven't you ever spent a day on the South Fork chuckin Streamers? It's my favorite!! Got box full of big juicy ones. Call it my Trout Candy Box. LOL. Thats the way I got that browny in profile pic. Caught him just above Bighington.

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 03-23-2008, 12:19 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

I need to more often, but I'm the one doin the rowing all day.
I have a place in mind that I think is holding some big fish, need a big Brown for a tattoo idea.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 03-23-2008, 12:35 AM

ezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the rough

my FAVORITE technique is using dry flies on small to medium sized sierra streams, and sight fishing to the trout. not always the most productive, but as you asked, certainly my favorite.

eric
fresno, ca.
Old 03-23-2008, 07:43 AM

panfisher1125 is on a distinguished road

ill be fishing the pere marquette, and the au sable rivers in michigan, au sable in the spring, and pere marquette late september and early october i dont know if this matters at all but we fish for salmon usually on the PM with spinning tackle, but im planning on taking the fly rod up there this year, will the salmon scare away the trout?