The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By scotty macfly
  • 1 Post By cochise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2015, 09:27 PM

troutclout11 is on a distinguished road
Default Catch trout during run-off?

I was introduced to something new and strange when I moved out West. Runoff, which lasts for essentially the month of April where I'm from, lasts into the months of June and July in the Rockies, the very months when fly-fishing is best back east.

A lot of people say the river's are "blown out" now, and indeed they are running high, but does that mean you can't catch any fish? One of my favorite fisheries out here (the Rio Grande) is attracting more white water rafters than anglers nowadays, but what if I put on a big sink tip and a heavily weighted fly?

I read that rapid, dramatic changes in flows will keep fish from actively feeding. However, by now the flows have been high for some time, and they have to eat sometime, right?
Old 06-19-2015, 08:13 AM

scotty macfly is a jewel in the roughscotty macfly is a jewel in the roughscotty macfly is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Catch trout during run-off?

It can be done. What I do is concentrate no more than 2 or 3 feet from the bank depending on the flow. No need to cast out into the middle.
The terrain is important. In the canyons here in Colorado, the water can in some areas be so fast and dangerous it can resemble something like what you'd see in the Congo of Africa. Forget it.
But in areas where the terrain is not steep and rocky, but more flat, you will still have a strong flow, but the edges are much more friendly to fish. I like to find areas like this that have small boulders or anything that will break up the current and use big dries. Fish grassy areas that are flooded over. Fish like to hang where the grass drops off into the normal bank area. Just like how bass like drop off's. Look for the soft water. It's not as bad or as intimidating as one would think. It can be done.
Bigfly and smilingduck like this.
Old 06-19-2015, 10:24 AM

yikes is a splendid one to beholdyikes is a splendid one to beholdyikes is a splendid one to beholdyikes is a splendid one to beholdyikes is a splendid one to beholdyikes is a splendid one to behold

The flow is swift near the top, but can be quite calm near the bottom.
I tried a river last weekend that was quite swift. I heavily weighted the end, to the point where the rod no longer cast like a fly rod. It was horrible.
A guide later pointed out that he fishes that same stretch with a single AB shot, max. He uses no indicator, but does more of a tight line / high stick approach. He casts very close and almost does a lob, so the fly and shot hit the water before the rest of the line, if possible.

Last edited by yikes; 06-19-2015 at 03:24 PM.
Old 06-19-2015, 11:11 AM

cochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant future

Fish eat right through runoff. Change it up.

Fish are harder to spook. Fishing can be off the charts in run-off waters.

Be safe.
newtofly likes this.
Old 06-19-2015, 01:26 PM

troutclout11 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the info! I'll give it a shot.
Old 06-19-2015, 04:31 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Discussed before:

Fishing Blown out water

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy