The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2015, 10:43 PM

120 grain is on a distinguished road
Default First trip out and I got skunked

Today I finally got to get out and try out fly fishing. A buddy and I fished the metolius river, saw some awesome scenery, burnt through way to many of Jerry's flies, all of my leaders, and no fish.
I can hardly wait to go out again, hopefully this time I can find a willing biter. All in all it was a good time, last weekend I attended the Orvis 101 class, and to get out this weekend was fun too.
Old 07-26-2015, 08:28 PM

unknownflyman will become famous soon enoughunknownflyman will become famous soon enough
Default Re: First trip out and I got skunked

Hi there! Welcome. Couldn't get the skunk smell off eh? Yep that does happen to the best of us.

After three days of great fishing a storm came through and for two days nothing, it was the Dead Sea. You would swear there was no fish in the lake. The very next day the bite was on again and fishing was good.

Here's to better luck on the next trip, cheers!
mcnerney likes this.
Old 08-12-2015, 07:56 AM

french is on a distinguished road

Keep at it! As you are finding out even skunked days aren't all too bad. Awesome scenery and "unplugging" certainly helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-12-2015, 08:35 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Tony: Like the others have said, we all get skunked from time to time, but you are fishing a very tough river. I have never fished the Metolius river, but from the reviews I have read it kind of reminds me of how tough the Henry's Fork can be, your presentation has to be perfect to have success there.
Were you wading or using the new drift boat?

Old 08-12-2015, 03:52 PM

uncle bill is on a distinguished road

The fishing is always great. Sometimes the catchin sucks.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 08-12-2015, 04:54 PM

120 grain is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the encouragement guys, I went out to another river last weeekend and got skunked again lol. I haven't got out in the drift boat this summer due to the low water. I am thinking I might need to start using a indicator and try some copper johns, and oheasant tails.
Old 08-12-2015, 06:52 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Lots of folks down play indicator fishing by saying it is bobber fishing, might as well go back to chucking bait. Fly fishing guides like to use indicator fishing with new clients as it is the most effective way to get them into fish, but it requires skill to mend the line and managing your line to be effective, which the guide can teach in short order. If you don't want to learn to fish with an indicator, another great approach is to use a dry/dropper. Attach a nice bushy dry or hopper pattern to the end of your tippet, then tie on a 20-24 inch piece of tippet to the bend of the hook and then tie on a small nymph pattern to the other end. A bead head pattern will help get the nymph down quickly. Fish that through the shallow riffles or the slower water up against the bank. Best of luck. Also, check with your local fly shops for what patterns are working on the local waters you fish.
Bigfly and trout trekker like this.

Old 08-19-2015, 10:40 AM

ten_fiver will become famous soon enoughten_fiver will become famous soon enough

It happens, especially when you are just starting out. The fish that breaks the cold spell will be a hoot, though.

I usually head to the small, out of the way creeks to break a slump. I don't know how things are up your way, but around here, I have a few go-to creeks that the fish are just plain dumb. You can throw just about anything at them and they'll hook up, and presentation isn't that important. It's fun, but it almost feels like cheating at the same time.
Old 08-19-2015, 04:27 PM

paul54 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Lots of folks down play indicator fishing by saying it is bobber fishing, might as well go back to chucking bait. Fly fishing guides like to use indicator fishing with new clients as it is the most effective way to get them into fish, but it requires skill to mend the line and managing your line to be effective, which the guide can teach in short order. If you don't want to learn to fish with an indicator, another great approach is to use a dry/dropper. Attach a nice bushy dry or hopper pattern to the end of your tippet, then tie on a 20-24 inch piece of tippet to the bend of the hook and then tie on a small nymph pattern to the other end. A bead head pattern will help get the nymph down quickly. Fish that through the shallow riffles or the slower water up against the bank. Best of luck. Also, check with your local fly shops for what patterns are working on the local waters you fish.
Good advice. Sub-surface insects make up a large portion of a trout's diet. Spending a day with a good guide, IMHO, is a very good investment.
Old 08-19-2015, 05:00 PM
Business Member

CutThroat Leaders has much to be proud ofCutThroat Leaders has much to be proud ofCutThroat Leaders has much to be proud ofCutThroat Leaders has much to be proud ofCutThroat Leaders has much to be proud ofCutThroat Leaders has much to be proud ofCutThroat Leaders has much to be proud ofCutThroat Leaders has much to be proud ofCutThroat Leaders has much to be proud ofCutThroat Leaders has much to be proud of

Donít let getting skunked sour you on the sport. We have all been there, especially on a river such as the Metolius River. If you fish the Metolius often you will have great days and days that will humble you. Best of luck on your next trip out.
120 grain likes this.

Mike
Hand Woven Furled Leaders
Site: http://www.cutthroatfurledleaders.com/
email. mike@cutthroatleader.com
Blog: http://furledleader.blogspot.com/