The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree369Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2017, 06:59 PM

dc410 is just really nicedc410 is just really nicedc410 is just really nicedc410 is just really nicedc410 is just really nice
Default Re: Exploring the Rockies

Ivory,

This is an awesome thread! I just read through the whole thread this evening. I have never had the chance to fish or even see the scenery of the Rocky Mountains. Some day I hope to get the chance to. Your explorations, stories, photos of your beautiful fish and gorgeous scenery are just a dream to me. Thanks for keeping your thread going this long, it was truly enjoyable to read through it. I'll keep checking in for updates. Keep up the good work!
mcnerney and ivory arrow like this.
Old 04-19-2017, 09:21 PM

smcnearn is a jewel in the roughsmcnearn is a jewel in the roughsmcnearn is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivory arrow View Post
I don't think they are in the winter holding lies anymore. I think my real problem is the small amount of water I have been able to cover by nymphing with an indicator. Fish are definitely holding in some water I can't get a natural drift in. It's too fast to long line, and too much water to cover by short lining. I have been reduced to picking pocket water. It takes a lot of walking over rough terrain to find these little pockets. It's wearing me out and limiting the water I am covering.

I think I am going to tie up a big soft hackle that could be used as a lure on the swing, or as a stonefly imitation under an indicator when I come across pocket water. Maybe trail a smaller soft hackle hares ear behind it.

I wanted to learn some new fishing techniques and how to fish different types of water, but I underestimated how difficult it would be. I think I am going to try Deckers or Cheeseman before going back. Just mix it up. Hopefully in a week or two the Caddis will be in full swing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rainbows will seriously be in odd places this time of year. Sometimes the entire population for several miles will be in one spot attempting to reproduce. I wouldn't discount that effect on your ability to catch them this time of year.

I assume by the fish holding in water you can't get a natural drift in you mean the deep plunge pools with several stacked opposing currents?

I did a lot of this pocket water fishing in small streams in boulder county, (and toasted more than one pair of waders) now I am using the same techniques to fish streamers on the Colorado river. Fishing pocket water and really covering ground can produce epic days. 2-3 casts and move. 2-3 casts and move. Shocking how often the strike is on the drop on the first cast. I'm guessing a big hopper and a big tungsten beadhead would work...

I imagine that water isn't very pressured?

Old 04-19-2017, 09:38 PM

ivory arrow is a name known to allivory arrow is a name known to allivory arrow is a name known to allivory arrow is a name known to allivory arrow is a name known to allivory arrow is a name known to all
Default Exploring the Rockies

Thanks D.C. Its been an amazing experience and I am enjoying sharing it with everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smcnearn View Post

I assume by the fish holding in water you can't get a natural drift in you mean the deep plunge pools with several stacked opposing currents?

I did a lot of this pocket water fishing in small streams in boulder county, (and toasted more than one pair of waders) now I am using the same techniques to fish streamers on the Colorado river. Fishing pocket water and really covering ground can produce epic days. 2-3 casts and move. 2-3 casts and move. Shocking how often the strike is on the drop on the first cast. I'm guessing a big hopper and a big tungsten beadhead would work...

I imagine that water isn't very pressured?

It can get surprisingly pressured. Particularly if Big Horn Canyon is muddy it pushes the crowds closer and closer together upstream. But with over a hundred miles of public river there is always somewhere to fish. It's just a matter of how far you want to drive.

As far as getting a natural drift. The areas I was speaking about are about 3 feet deep slicks/riffles. The water is moving too fast to form a pool at the end of the run, so above the tail out you sometimes get long uniform runs. Not quite boiling but moving pretty fast. Lots of big submerged rocks in the river for fish to hide behind. There are large stretches of water like this. Too fast to long line and too much area to short line. Plus wading into position without spooking these fish presents difficulty.

There is enough food in the water that they can pretty much hold wherever they want. I think it is a matter of covering enough water to find those random spots, rather than looking for specific runs holding high numbers of fish.

Old 04-19-2017, 10:07 PM

smcnearn is a jewel in the roughsmcnearn is a jewel in the roughsmcnearn is a jewel in the rough

So I'd suggest two approaches,

1. Use a small weighted streamer and cast step step cast. Casting upstream and stripping your way across the fast stuff.

2. Cover water with a hopper dropper and just nail the pockets nearest fast water. The fast water outside the pocket makes these fish opportunistic.