The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2016, 02:31 PM

733subducker is on a distinguished road
Default Landlocked salmon eggs

Wondering if anyone has seen residual eggs come out of big female land locks in the spring. In some of our bigger ones, they have had one or two eggs come out while struggling in the net. And no, they were in a wet rubber net and released quickly unharmed. Just thought it was odd.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 05-15-2016, 03:59 PM

bear 007 is a splendid one to beholdbear 007 is a splendid one to beholdbear 007 is a splendid one to beholdbear 007 is a splendid one to beholdbear 007 is a splendid one to beholdbear 007 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Landlocked salmon eggs

I believe landlocks are fall spawners, you sure your not seeing sucker spawn coming out of them, it is the season.
Old 05-15-2016, 04:03 PM

I agree they are fall spawners.

If they were little yellowish eggs being coughed up it would be sucker spawn. These were just one or two orang ish eggs coming out the other end. I know I've caught other species of fish that had residual eggs in them. This only happened a couple times with the biggest females. Just curious.

Old 05-15-2016, 04:07 PM

bear 007 is a splendid one to beholdbear 007 is a splendid one to beholdbear 007 is a splendid one to beholdbear 007 is a splendid one to beholdbear 007 is a splendid one to beholdbear 007 is a splendid one to behold

Wow I didn't realize they could hold eggs that long, I'll have to look a little closer now.
Old 05-15-2016, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear 007 View Post
I believe landlocks are fall spawners, you sure your not seeing sucker spawn coming out of them, it is the season.
I'm not suggesting they were spawning, just a few hold over eggs that got got shaken lose... perhaps.

Old 05-15-2016, 05:51 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I'm not a fisheries biologist but............... Have seen rainbow trout spawn in fall along with the brown trout. Sounds messed up but when you see something you've seen it and can't argue against what happened. I wouldn't be surprised if certain individuals within a population would be late in their reproductive process. In reality anything's possible.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-28-2016, 09:19 PM

seamonkey84 has a spectacular aura aboutseamonkey84 has a spectacular aura about

They are indeed fall spawners, now if they didn't get to spawn they will slowly absorb those eggs. When that's happening the eggs get paler and eventually become almost just shells before being fully absorbed. A few weeks ago I caught a female Brookie out of a pond that was releasing white eggs.
Old 05-30-2016, 11:02 AM

king joe has a spectacular aura aboutking joe has a spectacular aura aboutking joe has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamonkey84 View Post
They are indeed fall spawners, now if they didn't get to spawn they will slowly absorb those eggs. When that's happening the eggs get paler and eventually become almost just shells before being fully absorbed. A few weeks ago I caught a female Brookie out of a pond that was releasing white eggs.
So...Indeed Seamonkey hit it pretty much dead on. Regardless of the spawning period...there are a couple things going on. First...and many of us have experienced this...the different stages of egg growth in females; from small 'lines' of eggs to full loose eggs filling the gut cavity.

Second, in that loose eggs in the cavity stage...NOT all eggs are dropped during spawning activity. In fact, it is common to not drop the full load and some species have been known to double down on redd building.

Third...fish may not spawn at all....and will, as Seamonkey says...try to re-absorb the eggs. This condition...yes, its a condition...is known as "spawnboundedness". In many instances, full spawnbound fish...will often die as the eggs absorption takes longer than a year...so...in the next spawning cycle, they are growing...and absorbing...and the energy demands are lethal.

Because of the colour you mention....I suspect some form of the above is what you are seeing (old eggs from not complete spawning or spawnboundedness).

King Joe Outa Here!
Old 05-30-2016, 11:41 AM

Very interesting, thanks guys. Not a crazy thought process after all!