The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree14Likes
  • 4 Post By unknownflyman
  • 1 Post By ia_trouter
  • 3 Post By bear 007
  • 3 Post By blackbugger
  • 1 Post By markfrid
  • 2 Post By diamond rush

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2016, 03:31 PM

unknownflyman is just really niceunknownflyman is just really niceunknownflyman is just really niceunknownflyman is just really niceunknownflyman is just really nice
Default Skating

Hi there, last time out I caught a good brook trout and brown skating a dry fly I would like to share this inspiring video and start a dialog on when this method is the most effective.

https://vimeo.com/167594487
Old 05-29-2016, 04:33 PM

ia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud of
Default Re: Skating

I've seen some good fly video but that was VERY awesome!!! Seriously maybe best short clip I have ever seen.
unknownflyman likes this.
Old 05-29-2016, 04:55 PM

bear 007 is a splendid one to beholdbear 007 is a splendid one to beholdbear 007 is a splendid one to beholdbear 007 is a splendid one to beholdbear 007 is a splendid one to beholdbear 007 is a splendid one to behold

Nice video, its funny, I was out this afternoon during a caddis hatch and unintentionally hooked two nice fish as my fly was skating in back of me, it caught me off guard. I actually had on an Ausable Wulff and I was shooting for the green drake hatch that was just ending.
Old 05-29-2016, 05:43 PM

blackbugger has much to be proud ofblackbugger has much to be proud ofblackbugger has much to be proud ofblackbugger has much to be proud ofblackbugger has much to be proud ofblackbugger has much to be proud ofblackbugger has much to be proud ofblackbugger has much to be proud of

North Umpqua?

Looks like they are fishing steelhead poppers.
I've fished Scott Howell's ska-opper pattern a bunch on the Ronde and it's amazing the way it will bring up fish. My experience has been that more often than not they will miss it completely but it sure gets their attention.

One day I counted to something like 14 hits popping a ska-opper and actually only hooking one.
I fished after a couple other guys had swung what was a productive run and had hooked into a couple of fish. When I went through it again with the ska-opper I brought up like 8 or 9 fish and couldn't get a single one to actually eat it but the chugging/popping would make them come up and take a wild swing at it.
Pretty crazy.
Regular skating seems to get more real takes but doesn't produce as much action depending on water temps, time of day and all that.
At least for Columbia river summer runs.

Fun video. I can't wait for August when steelheading will start for me in earnest.
Old 05-29-2016, 06:07 PM

unknownflyman is just really niceunknownflyman is just really niceunknownflyman is just really niceunknownflyman is just really niceunknownflyman is just really nice

Dave Pinczkowski got me on this skating thing and Harry Lemire teaching me how to tie the Thompson river Caddis and the fall Caddis and while steelhead season is over till September I couldn't help trying skating a couple of fish up on my home stream trout river after they didn't like my match of the hatch.

Very suprising! While I didn't do a greased line thing, I coated the leader, the end of the line and dry fly in loon floatant and it was sailing effortlessly on the surface lightly swinging and stripping in.

Fish on! Might have to spin some moose tonight.

I really don't know much more about skating than what Dave taught me and maybe that's all I need to know, just go do it.

Last edited by unknownflyman; 06-02-2016 at 05:51 PM.
Old 05-29-2016, 06:53 PM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

It really depends on what one is talking about. Those skaters in the video posted by unknownflyman are designed for steelhead. The first skater pattern was designed by Ed Hewitt for rivers in the Catskills before any of us was born...

Fly Tyer Magazine, Fly Tying, Fly Recipes, Fly Patterns, Fly Fishing - Hewitt's Skater

This how to tie it:

https://vimeo.com/33127383

This article might also be of interest:

Unmatching the Hatch | MidCurrent

That being said I have used those patterns most successfully on Hot Creek here in the Eastern Sierras when the wind comes howling down the canyon and blows everyone off the water - except for me. I switch to a 3x-4x, 12'-16' leader and work the banks...I won't reveal what has happened...

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 05-30-2016, 09:30 AM

markfrid is a jewel in the roughmarkfrid is a jewel in the roughmarkfrid is a jewel in the roughmarkfrid is a jewel in the rough

Wow, what a video! Thanks Mr Unknown. I think any time fish are actively feeding at or near the surface is a good time to try skating something. I usually tie on a Crackleback of some kind, but Renegades, BiVisibles, Spiders and others all work. Of course, it doesn't always work, but it's surprising how snobby risers can turn into idiots when a buggy fly comes twitching past them. Wham!! It seems like they are especially pissed when they get fooled by a skating fly, so hang on!

Mark
unknownflyman likes this.
Old 05-31-2016, 09:09 AM

diamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to all

If you can see the trout you're casting to, a well-timed twitch can be deadly. Here's one example. The trout ignored the still presentation and slammed it the second I twitched it on the next cast.

Beautiful Day in the NC Mountains
markfrid and unknownflyman like this.
Old 05-31-2016, 02:11 PM

fishmandoug has a spectacular aura aboutfishmandoug has a spectacular aura aboutfishmandoug has a spectacular aura about

As far as trout fishing, check out the book Fishing the Dry Fly As a Living Insect by Leonard M Wright.

A good read about this topic. A caddis pattern can be a great prospecting fly with this technique. I have not mastered the specific technique but tried it with success a few times.