The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree14Likes
  • 13 Post By plecain
  • 1 Post By Hardyreels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2016, 04:27 AM

plecain has much to be proud ofplecain has much to be proud ofplecain has much to be proud ofplecain has much to be proud ofplecain has much to be proud ofplecain has much to be proud ofplecain has much to be proud ofplecain has much to be proud ofplecain has much to be proud of
Default Before the 4th

The lowland streams remain too warm to fish for trout. So, back to the mountains in the hope that they stay fishable for a while.

Started here.

Click the image to open in full size.

The last time I was here, last Fall, I had a long rod with me. This time I brought a 6' 1 wt. to help negotiate the trees and bushes.

The water temperature was still good. The levels are a little low, but that's just going to have to wait for some rain.

I like this coloring on brook trout. There were a few like this here.

Fished the first spot for a while, then moved on to a slightly larger and slightly warmer spot.

With a different mixture of fish.

Altogether for the day caught wild and stocked brook trout, wild and stocked rainbows, and stocked browns. No salmon, though I've caught them here before.
Next weekend is the long 4th of July weekend. Might be a good weekend to stay out of the traffic.

Paul
Old 06-30-2016, 09:12 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Before the 4th

Paul

That looks like an excellent small stream to spend the day fly fishing. Just wondering, how did you like the new fly rod?

Old 06-30-2016, 09:31 AM

plecain has much to be proud ofplecain has much to be proud ofplecain has much to be proud ofplecain has much to be proud ofplecain has much to be proud ofplecain has much to be proud ofplecain has much to be proud ofplecain has much to be proud ofplecain has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Just wondering, how did you like the new fly rod?
The 6' 1 wt. isn't new. However, when I changed spots I also changed rods - to a 6'10" 4 wt TXL-F. That rod is new. I built it over the Winter.

I like it quite a lot. I really didn't think of 4 wt. rods when I thought of the TXL, but I like it a lot more than I thought I might.

Paul
Old 07-01-2016, 03:21 AM

2rjs is on a distinguished road

Nice report and photos!
Old 07-01-2016, 07:55 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

What a great looking place! I do miss those little mountain rivulets where many folks would doubt you can fly fish. Strong thunder storms last evening here I'm sure the river is blown out so we're heading for big water for some sockeye dip netting.

Enjoy the weekend buddy
herchammer likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-01-2016, 08:00 AM

spm is a splendid one to beholdspm is a splendid one to beholdspm is a splendid one to beholdspm is a splendid one to beholdspm is a splendid one to beholdspm is a splendid one to beholdspm is a splendid one to behold

Great pics. I'm sure many people would pass those smaller holes. Good learning experience for me.

Thanks,
steve
Old 07-02-2016, 08:37 AM

mirabelasunshine is a glorious beacon of lightmirabelasunshine is a glorious beacon of lightmirabelasunshine is a glorious beacon of lightmirabelasunshine is a glorious beacon of lightmirabelasunshine is a glorious beacon of lightmirabelasunshine is a glorious beacon of light

Great looking White Mountain streams! Some nice fish relative to the scale of the water, too! Over here in VT I've been having about a 95% warm water season, but this makes me think I ought to take a brook trout day sometime soon.

- William Blake
Old 07-03-2016, 03:36 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Since I already mentioned it, we did go after the sockeye and are back already. We had perfect weather Friday afternoon but less than stellar results. Time has been the teacher as it is in so many things so I did a little river reading and on Saturday morning we caught many sockeye and 2 Kings. The kings were released immediately unharmed and sockeye hens and small fish were freed unharmed. Still we left by 6:00 PM Saturday with 30 nice salmon and I'm about to begin filleting right now

Again, beautiful stream Paul.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-03-2016, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Still we left by 6:00 PM Saturday with 30 nice salmon...
Sounds like quite a couple of days. Is that kind of fishing normal for where you are?

Paul