The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

View Poll Results: Momma's Bathrobe...would you or wouldn't you
I would fish a Momma's bathrobe! 20 71.43%
Not me, the guys would never let me live it down! 8 28.57%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2017, 06:04 AM

steelhead281 is on a distinguished road
Talking Mop Fly History

The Momma's Bathrobe Fly

Here is a little bit of back story about the much lauded Mop Fly that I have been hearing so much about. The real name of the fly is the Momma’s Bathrobe. They have been sold on Ebay for years. The inventor of the fly is a jokester from Northwest Ohio named John. He came up with the idea of the fly while sitting on his throne…doing what guys named John do best. The day before his wife put a new rug down on the floor that was a soft shade of brown and made of chenille fingers/yarn. The chenille fingers look just like chunks of night crawler. John harvested a few fingers and used super glue to affix them to his hooks. He took the flies to a local trout pond and history was made.

The name Momma’s Bathrobe came because of the cuddly feel of the fly…much like Momma’s Chenille Bathrobe but more importantly he just knew his uptight traditional fly fishing buddies would struggle because of it….and they did. The buddy they call The Judge won’t even say the name let alone use the fly. What the Judge hates the most is the construction of the fly. The chenille was super glued to the hook…."fly fishermen just don’t do that" according to the judge.

John is one of the finest and most generous people you’ll ever meet but as I said he has quite a sense of humor. He just loves to crack himself up. Watching other fisherman's reaction to the fly always cracks him up. John has given Momma’s Bathrobe flies to fishermen all over Ohio, Michigan and Pennsylvania. He just loves to catch a fish or two, have another fisherman mosey his way and start a conversation about what’s working. Out comes a few Momma’s Bathrobes for the guy…and then comes the “what’s it called” question. "MOMMA’S BATHROBE" John says and the reaction is anything from nervous laughter to shyness to disgust even though they just watched him catch fish with it. As I said, I think he gives the fly away just so he can watch the reaction as the fishermen struggle over the name. That reaction seems to crack him up with some kind of warped pleasure.

It catches just about any freshwater fish 29” steelhead in Erie PA., 22” Largemouth from Lake Leann, Michigan, brown trout, brook trout, rainbows, bluegill, crappie and catfish….seems nothing can resist the Momma’s Bathrobe. The most effective color is Chartreuse green or spring green fished in a dead drift or under a strike indicator (aka bobber to you cane pole purists).

Many stores now carry the intense bright green chenille dust mops, Lowes, Home Depot, Walmart, Menards, Meijer’s, Kroger and many others so materials are easy to find. The fly now is made by tying the end of the chenille just behind the hook eye to give more life to the tail. Tying with a little red or black head seems to be the best. The original was easy but crude. Just cut off the chenille fingers, dab a little super glue on the end or melt the end to stop raveling, put a drop of glue on the hook and the hold the hook to the chenille…go fishing. They look really cool with a black soft hackle collar. Size 8 hook is about right. Good Fishing and hope you can get some fish and chuckles with the Momma’s Bathrobe. Steelhead281
Old 04-08-2017, 06:47 AM

karstopo is a glorious beacon of lightkarstopo is a glorious beacon of lightkarstopo is a glorious beacon of lightkarstopo is a glorious beacon of lightkarstopo is a glorious beacon of lightkarstopo is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Mop Fly History

Good story. The bathroom can be a nice quiet place to come up with a good idea. I think those mop flies, Momma's Bathrobe flies, look a lot like a caddis larva or a maggot. It seems like any fish that eats insects and larva would or could go for it.

Do people still rebel against Momma's Bathrobe/mop flies? If so, I wonder why? Any fly ever made began as a repurposed something, feather, fiber, fur, thread, etc. and an innovation at the time. Sounds like a simple tie, but I'm not too sure about the super glued original version lasting beyond a fish or two. I super glue eyes on flies at times and the fish rip the eyes off pretty quickly.
kentuckysteve likes this.
Old 04-08-2017, 07:41 AM

Flyfisher for men has a brilliant futureFlyfisher for men has a brilliant futureFlyfisher for men has a brilliant futureFlyfisher for men has a brilliant futureFlyfisher for men has a brilliant futureFlyfisher for men has a brilliant futureFlyfisher for men has a brilliant futureFlyfisher for men has a brilliant futureFlyfisher for men has a brilliant futureFlyfisher for men has a brilliant futureFlyfisher for men has a brilliant future

Quote:
look a lot like a caddis larva or a maggot.
That's what I think of anytime I see a mop at the store. Never bothered to tie anything up, though.
Old 04-08-2017, 07:58 AM

kentuckysteve has a brilliant futurekentuckysteve has a brilliant futurekentuckysteve has a brilliant futurekentuckysteve has a brilliant futurekentuckysteve has a brilliant futurekentuckysteve has a brilliant futurekentuckysteve has a brilliant futurekentuckysteve has a brilliant futurekentuckysteve has a brilliant futurekentuckysteve has a brilliant futurekentuckysteve has a brilliant future

I tie them and catch quite a few bluegills with them.Also tie them with a bead head or use bead chain eyes so they slow sink to the bottom and the big shell crackers or red ear sunfish love them.I like a white one with red chenille head and a couple small rubber legs and also a yellow tied with peacock herl head and hackle collar.I use car wash mitts for the mop because i am not brave enough to cut up momma,s bathrobe.
karstopo likes this.
Old 04-08-2017, 08:32 AM

Steve, check out the cleaning section...mops and broom section of most any store. They sell large and small mop heads with hundreds of chenille fingers for between $5 and $10 dollars. The auto care section usually has colors you don't see in the cleaning aisle. No need to cut up anything Momma.
Old 04-08-2017, 08:32 AM

ia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond repute

Why would I fish a mop fly when I can just fly cast a nightcrawler or net them when they are spawning?

nickj, itchmesir, wthorpe and 3 others like this.
Old 04-08-2017, 08:43 AM

Why would I fish a mop fly when I can just fly cast a nightcrawler or net them when they are spawning? asks IE Trouter.

Hey Trouter, the problem I have had netting the big females off the redds is they just fight and thrash like all heck. Clubbing them to stop the trashing just doesn't seem very sportsmanlike.

Last edited by steelhead281; 04-08-2017 at 08:46 AM. Reason: add Trouters question
Old 04-08-2017, 08:51 AM

bill_s is on a distinguished road

I voted no, but disagree with the no comment: "Not me, the guys would never let me live it down!".

For me tying is an equal part of the enjoyment of fly fishing. Tying the mop fly does not interest me. It is not that it uses artificial materials, for me that is not a criteria: what is important is to tie an interesting and challenging fly.

I have no interest in tying the fly so thus I would not fish it. If others do, fine by me.

Cheers
ia_trouter and karstopo like this.
Old 04-08-2017, 09:16 AM

ia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_s View Post
...For me tying is an equal part of the enjoyment of fly fishing. Tying the mop fly does not interest me. It is not that it uses artificial materials, for me that is not a criteria: what is important is to tie an interesting and challenging fly.

I have no interest in tying the fly so thus I would not fish it. If others do, fine by me.

Cheers
I agree. I don't really care what others do if it's legal. Several months of the year fly tying is my only real connection to the sport. Mops would ruin the tying experience for me.
nickj likes this.
Old 04-08-2017, 09:34 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ia_trouter View Post
I agree. I don't really care what others do if it's legal. Several months of the year fly tying is my only real connection to the sport. Mops would ruin the tying experience for me.
I don't have strong feelings about this, but the mop fly is a fad that I don't see any reason to adopt.

You can take that as you may 'cuz I really haven't accepted "bobbers", large arbor reels, and graphite rods yet either.