The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2008, 11:08 PM

mey123 is on a distinguished road
Default Fishing with indicators

hi guys like this forum i figure since everyone is so happy with it i would give it a try. i have a few questions for ya. i am having trouble connecting tippet to my fly line, i am using connectors, the litte football shaped connectors, but they keep breaking my line. i tie my own leaders and it is usually 4 lb test where it connects, i was wondering if there was a better way to connect the leader... one more question i fish a lot with small indiacators and i thinking that maybe the indicator is making my flies drag and not giving a natural appearance any suggestions.
Thanks
Old 04-10-2008, 12:29 AM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo
Default Re: Fishing with indicators

mey123;

I have always used nail knots for the connection of fly line and leader. A lot of folks use the loop to loop set up. Most the major tapered leader manufacturers are making their leaders with loops now. I would recommend you try one of these methods. I've never used the connectors you refer to so I don't know if that is a regular problem with them.

As for your indicator question, I would say if you have drag on your indicator you have drag on your nymph. Maybe if you give a little more detail of how you are fishing nymphs we can be more specific as well.

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 04-10-2008, 07:26 AM

hsmith1313 is on a distinguished road

I'm not quite sure where you are having your problem. Are you looking for a better way to connect leader to fly line or tippet to leader?

For leader to fly line I have used the loop to loop a good bit, but have moved more towards a nail knot lately. My main reason for the loops was that I always had trouble tying a good nail knot while on the water and anytime I had to change my leader it was a **** shoot as to whether I could get a good knot tied. So I opted for the loop to loop. Lately, I have used a nail knot and in the relatively rare event of having to change out an entire leader I cut off all but about 6 inches of the old leader, tie a perfection loop in the end so that I have about 2 to 3 inches of the butt section of the leader attached to the fly line with a loop at the end. I then tie a perfection loop at the end of my new leader and attach the two. When I get somewhere were I can tie a better nail knot, I attach the leader to the fly line with a nail knot.

My preferred knot for tying tippet to leader is the surgeons knot. Quick and easy to tie and very strong.

I'm still learning to fish with indicators myself so I won't comment on that part of your post.
Old 04-10-2008, 09:10 AM

tjammer is on a distinguished road

For leader to fly line I have been using a "castwell" knot, that I learned last year off a post on the following link:

Fly Angler's OnLine "Fly Fishing the Salt - 18 - Wading"

This is a very simple knot but I've found it to be quite effective. Easy to tie mid-stream.
Old 04-10-2008, 09:23 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mey123 View Post
i am having trouble connecting tippet to my fly line, i am using connectors, the litte football shaped connectors, but they keep breaking my line. i tie my own leaders and it is usually 4 lb test where it connects, i was wondering if there was a better way to connect the leader... one more question i fish a lot with small indiacators and i thinking that maybe the indicator is making my flies drag and not giving a natural appearance any suggestions.
Thanks
Number one....4 lb at the connection? You should be at 13 lb to 21 lb. You are not getting a good base on the leader. I am 99% sure this is why you are breaking off. Find a good recipe for a tapered leader on line and follow that. It could be as many as 7 sections.
A good Taper will also help with the indicator drift, not to mention casting.
I use the LOOP 2 LOOP myself, but I switch from hand tied mono, to furled and this works for me, but I also make my loops in the FLY LINE right out of the fly line its self.
Old 04-10-2008, 11:32 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi mey123,

First let me welcome you to the forum.

Joni has addressed you main problem if you are using a leader with a 4lb butt. If you are a new fly fisher you would be better off using a commercial knotless tapered leader. They are very good leaders and there are sizes for most any application and they match your fly line size. You stated that: "i am having trouble connecting tippet to my fly line," You don't fasten tippet to fly line, the tippet is the end of the leader that the fly fastens to. You may find this FAQ post helpful. If you are using a level leader then you could fasten the leader to your fly line but if it is 4lb it better be very short and don't use the connectors. I think you need to start over and get a better setup. What length of leader are you using and is it a tapered leader or a level leader? What are you fishing for?

Frank
Old 04-11-2008, 08:08 PM

Deanona is on a distinguished road

Hey Mey123,
There is some great info in the posts above!
Reading your post I thought I'd share what works for me with you,attaching the leader to fly line-I feel that a store bought connecter of any sort will give you alot of drag,may not effectivly transfer energy to the leader,and possibly cause a weak spot(as you have seen).
Personally I use 20lb. test mono, and attach a ten to twelve inch piece to the fly line via a nail knot.Then I tie a perfection loop on the other end of the mono,and attach the leader(I like 9ft knotless tapered) with a loop to loop, and then add tippet via blood knot.This way you can use a leader of your choice, without cutting your fly line each time you change,and Imo a perfection loop is easier to tie than a blood knot on the water(a good thing IMO).

Fishing indicators...I try to fish indicators as if the indicater were a dry fly, if you can dead drift your indicator the same as a dry fly, there is a good chance it'll impart less drag on your fly.
I'm by no means an expert, but as I said this works for me.Hope it helps .
Ster
Old 04-14-2008, 09:31 AM

mey123 is on a distinguished road

thanks guys for all the imput, the indicator problem isnt a very big issue... i am just trying to save money on buying leaders from the local tackle shop because they are like $5 apeice, but what do u reccomend i try if the 4lb tippet isnt a good idea for the whole leader... i usually us about 9 ft of leader and us a tandem setup with bead headed nymphs, i use a blood not to tie the tandem...
Old 04-14-2008, 09:43 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

mey, Guiding, leaders get real expensive, so what I have done is (besides the furled leaders I make) I buy regular MONO. I prefer Fluorocardon, but that is me. Plus you could make mono leaders with the last section Fluoro.
You could buy spools of regular mono in say a 15 lb and then a 12lb, 10 lb, 8 lb, 6 lb. and make your own. Spools will cost initially, but you could make a lot of leaders and even experiment with tapers. This is very cost effective considering one spool of Mono at say 250' will cost the same as ONE leader.
You just want to start off a little heavier than 4lb and work down to that.
Old 04-14-2008, 03:11 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi mey123,

Leaders can get expensive especially if you are tying wind knots in them.

You might consider these leaders from Cabela's. I have not used them but I would expect them to be satisfactory. You get three leaders and a tippet spool for $9.99. That is a bit cheaper than you are paying. You can get 4X, 5X, or 6X.

Frank

Click the image to open in full size.