The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2008, 07:42 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly
Default almost caught my 1st steel!

went to today by myself and seen some steel right away in riffle!! I actually hooked 2 or so I think as it could of been just 1 cause it might not of been a solid hook set in the mouth on the one.. the one I actually hooked tho for sure I seen him take it and he took me for a ride like never before and took me to right before the reel and when i went to put him on it he backtracked and did a 180 on me and I couldn't strip enough to catch up as he charged me like a raging bull!!!!!! then he came off. oh well tho that was crazy!! now I know what its all about. i learned you ain't manhandling that fish at all. he is gonna do what he wants to do with ya. you just gotta hold on for the ride. then my cousin HBJ met me up there and all steel vanished from site! haha heres a few pix.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SNV30533.JPG (75.8 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg SNV30540.JPG (81.5 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg SNV30541.JPG (80.4 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg SNV30545.JPG (81.3 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg SNV30553.JPG (77.0 KB, 18 views)

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 04-17-2008, 07:54 PM

Greenwood will become famous soon enoughGreenwood will become famous soon enough
Default Re: almost caught my 1st steel!

Well McFly!
Welcome to the steelhead fraternity. That ain't going to be the last one you hook and don't land! LOL! Took my brother for his first trip in November - he hooked 6 and never landed one! - So you got company! Looks like it was a gorgeous spring day!
Old 04-17-2008, 08:09 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold

ya I can't wait for tomorrow! hopefully will get one then. keep ya posted. the one I hooked was decent too. prolly 20 inches at least.

Old 04-18-2008, 12:23 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Go get em Mcfly!! be sure and get pics of em, Good Luck....

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."

Old 04-18-2008, 12:37 AM

I will if I get one for sure! I took pix of a school of um today but you can't even see um when I got home and checked the pix. taking the camera tomorrow. also meeting up with a member from my new forum. hope to have a great time.

Old 04-18-2008, 11:56 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi McFly,

Good going. Catching your first steelhead is a lot easier when you know the fish are there. What fly and setup were you using?

Frank
Old 04-18-2008, 05:34 PM

yesterday used pink sucker spawn but today I went with HBJ to the v and met flytyer56 there. he showed us some good tips and I learned alot. soon after I tied on a red/white clouser and I hooked up with a nice buck steelie that took me on some nice runs!! he had lots of nice pink color on him and I fought him a good 3-5 minutes or so and flytyer went to net him for me and he jumped out the net and did a 360 around his leg and broke my leader. still awesome tho and no hard feelings whatsoever! if it weren't for flytyers tips and suggestions I wouldn't of hooked into him in the 1st place! I will count him as a 90% catch. I felt the power! also caught this sucker fish on a brown stone. thought I had a snagged bottom until the snag starting moving past HBJ and I am like why is my snag moving? oh **** a fish! heres a pic of the sucker I caught..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SNV30559.JPG (81.9 KB, 17 views)

Old 04-18-2008, 11:46 PM

talked to my other cousin and he hooked up at a different spot with a blue/white clouser with red gills. said he casted in a deep hole a few minuted before he left. came out of nowhere and grabbed it and some guy netted it for him. thats 2 on clousers. mine was way different than his. i casted to mine and i could see him. there were monsters spawning so i let them go and he was a stray a lil ways away so i cast a green bugger and nothing. flytyer says no interest switch. so i go to the red/white clouser cause I got from bigyfly before i started tying I grabbed this steelhead package and got it in there. well i seen him chase it once on the swing so again i casted and he chases again! 3rd times the charm! it was prolly my most perfect cast ever it was right on and it swung right in front of him! he chased is 3 feet or so and killed it! I watched the whole thing! i set the hook as soon as he turned and the fight was on. wish i had a picture but poop happens and steel do 360's on people and break off haha.

Old 04-19-2008, 12:36 AM

heres that clouser i caught stuff on .only difference is the eyes the one i bought had red dumbells I used bead chain for these
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SNV30565.JPG (81.6 KB, 8 views)