The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2008, 07:06 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly
Default caught me a huge steelie!

went again today by myself. I had a blast! I caught a nice buck steelie on the lake erie shiner clouser I tied myself in the same exact spot as last time!! also caught a small mouth ina deep rocky hole and a carp 2 cast later. it wasn't a sucker fish this was a carp for sure. no pix of the small and carp cause they fell off when i lufted then out of the water but heres that huge steel I caught! I estimate him to be 22-24 inches by measuring the rod when i go home! took me around the corner had to cross the river and everything haha!.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SNV30569.JPG (78.3 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg SNV30568.JPG (79.8 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg SNV30566.JPG (80.7 KB, 20 views)

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 04-21-2008, 07:37 PM

Greenwood will become famous soon enoughGreenwood will become famous soon enough
Default Re: caught me a huge steelie!

Good job McFly; I knew I'd see a picture of one of your steelies sooner than later!
Old 04-21-2008, 09:16 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold

just a matter of time haha! I am going again tomorrow! hopefully can add to the collection!

Old 04-21-2008, 09:53 PM

MrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the rough

oh look its the green headed monster env'um has shown its head...

if you dont get that, I'm saying I'm green with envy...
Old 04-21-2008, 09:57 PM

haha ya what a fight! just hope he came through ok. I held him in the water until he swam away.

Old 04-21-2008, 09:59 PM

FlyRichardFly will become famous soon enoughFlyRichardFly will become famous soon enough

Way to go, McFly. What rod is that one in the pic?
Old 04-21-2008, 10:25 PM

MrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the rough

It been my experiance that if a fish can swim away right side up on its own, there is a very good chance it will do just fine. I once held a smallmouth bass for close to half an hour and rubbed the blood clot from its gills. Took off and the last thing I seen was the water hitting my face. Many times of drifting along in the boat or sitting on the bank holding fish.

Great fish, great color, cant get over the coloration of those steelies over regular run of the mill rainbows. Go out there and get another one...and think of me while doing so.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:16 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Well done! You've now had much better luck with steelhead than I have.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:16 PM

good to know hope it lived... there were plenty there and if not I guess its stocked anyways and will get snacked on by something in nature . its a 2pc 9ft 8wt cabelas rod combo that came with a prestige plus reel ,fly line, leader and case and video for 99 bux!!! funny thing I just now went to give it a review at cabelas and I don't see it no more!! worked great and these guys took me on long reel splitting runs!! I just has to basically follow um till they wanna quit! can't wait for tomorrow! will try to get another! got to tie up some more clousers tonight before sleep!! thanks cliff! its a fight of your life! my arm is super sore!
PS I under estimated the size! I went back with a tape measure to the rod and it comes to around 25-29 inches!

Old 04-21-2008, 11:49 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Nice job Matt, good luck tomorrow.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*