The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2008, 07:29 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Steelhead on a 5wt?

You've heard the phrase "taking a knife to a gun-fight"?

A 5wt for steelhead is like taking a toothpick.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:05 PM

ezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the rough

this may be a moot point. i know experienced guys who go out and don't catch a steelie for days. LOL.

plus, there's summer run and winter run steelhead, no? some are smaller.

eric
fresno, ca.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:28 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly

idk but ohios are big! just caught one the other day that was 27 inches or so and today one thats was 24 or so and they put up a fight!! plus when you go to reel um in when they aren't shooting around like a rocket its like pulling in a sunken cinder block! pure muscle!!!! sore arms the next day for sure!

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 04-23-2008, 01:23 AM

MrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the rough

As often suggested for larger fish or fishing a very fast river, a 5wt is just a bit low on power. If you can find a fast or extra fast rod (most of the bend of the rod is at the tip) and it has next to no bend in the back end of the rod you may find it likeable. I took my 5wt after pike and a small fish took a lot of time to get in. I'm glad a big pike didnt grab the fly or I'd still be there chasing him and that was in a boat. However, like with all rods, the rod is only as good as the reel is. One point that hasnt been stressed enough is how well the reel works. Most smaller reels tend to burn out easily since they are just a spring and some sort of non metal washer. With more leverage and a reel that can handle it, it can be done. But most of it is anglers experiance/abilities, how well the equipment holds up, size of the fish, and just how well it all blends together. If you do take it, make sure you are ready to run and able to out smart the fish.
Old 04-23-2008, 01:31 AM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly

ya on my 8wt when I caught the 27 inch buck steelie i had to put up with a few runs then he went downstream!!! i had to cross the river and follow him as he went under a tree that was like 2 inches from the surface of the water and I just laid my line flat on the water. he went back and back again all times me laying my line on the surface and praying. I'd try to bank him and he'd swim away and we struggled back and forth like 6 times!!. 5 minutes or so later I pull in the steroid freak!!! wow what a rush! I was just as spent as he was! we both got a workout on that one!! a 5wt would of broke or either just killed him.

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 06-25-2008, 04:21 PM

tlcrep will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
If you have plenty of time and lots of clean room to let them run and you have the smoothest of smooth drags and know how to use it and you plan on eating the fish go ahead.
A 5 weight is really too light for steelhead.
Ok, so tell me, what would you use: Feather river california, late june early july, spring run steelhead 18 -24 inches in the really slow water taking size 20-22 trico hatch at night?

Me, I used a 4 weight with 7 x tippet. On the other hand, a couple hundred yard away, wintertime, 7-8 weight spey rod, steelhead slammed my nymph so hard right when it hit the water it broke my rod. Are you going to say never again?

Gotta tell you, for the 4-8 pound central valley winter run fish caught on nymphs, does not compare to 2-4 pound spring/summer run fish (plus half pounders in 14 -18 inch range) that arent nearly as hot but can are caught on top!!