The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2010, 10:09 PM

atxflyfish is on a distinguished road
Default Setting the hook during a drift

Up to now I've only fished still water, but I'm about to hit some rivers and had a question. I've read about properly mending line to create a realistic drift, and it seems to me that this usually involves a good amount of slack in the line. Doesn't this slack prevent a solid hookset when the fish hits? I'm sure I'm missing something here, I just don't know what it is. Thanks!
Old 08-20-2010, 11:20 PM

cattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to all
Default Re: Setting the hook during a drift

Hey there atxflyfish. I can see your concern. Im sure that there are others that can offer further advice than I can. That being said Ill give my two cents.
Often times when you get into a situation where mending is involved is when you have a cast upstream and across a quick section of water to a slower section. Youll have to strip your line to keep the slack out of it, but youll have to mend your line to keep the fast water from pulling your fly through the slow water, which will look a little odd to your prey.
Mending your line, when done properly, will actually help you in setting the hook because you will be keeping your line straighter and in more control.
I hope this helps and I hope I explained everything clearly enough and didn't confuse you.
Have fun......

It's not what I catch when I'm fishing, it's what I lose that matters to me...
----------------------------------------
Good decisions come from experience...Experience comes from bad decisions...
Old 08-21-2010, 08:00 AM

atxflyfish is on a distinguished road

Thanks Seth, that makes sense; I guess I'll just have to see it in action myself!
Old 08-21-2010, 09:18 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Ahhh, found it. Simple explanation/diagrams on 'mending' a fly line.

Fly Fishing, Fly Presentation, Mending - MidCurrent
Old 08-21-2010, 09:46 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Along with proper mending, try doing a downstream hookset rather than an upstream one. Just try it, and figure out the mechanics of it at another time.

MP
Old 08-21-2010, 10:22 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
Along with proper mending, try doing a downstream hookset rather than an upstream one. Just try it, and figure out the mechanics of it at another time.

MP
Clue here: MP's dead on right!
fae
Old 08-21-2010, 11:33 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

I also find it helpful to pull in line with my line hand. Also, if the fish is downstream of me I set the hook by sweeping my fly rod back and parallel to the water.

Randy
Old 08-22-2010, 11:47 AM

crittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
Ahhh, found it. Simple explanation/diagrams on 'mending' a fly line.

Fly Fishing, Fly Presentation, Mending - MidCurrent
Thanks Fred for the great link. I forgot about the articles on the Midcurrent site. I have it book marked now. There is a great little read on Tandem Rigs on that site as well.

Crittergetter
Old 08-22-2010, 12:33 PM

Thumbs up Re: Setting the hook during a drift

Cool, I'm back over to the link to look that one up.

fae