The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2008, 03:24 PM

FlyGuy7 is on a distinguished road
Default Michigan trout techniques

I live in central michigan and fish many small streams. I know there are trout in them, i ve caught them on dry flies in the summer, but right now there are not many trout riseing. I'm thinking that i should be useing nymphs or something sub surface. I have tried nymphs to some extent but with little success. Maybee i am fishing them wrong. Any suggestions with techniqes or flies to use? Thanks!
Old 04-29-2008, 10:03 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Michigan trout techniques

Hi FlyGuy7,

Your problem with sub-surface fishing is probably technique and not the flies. You do need to know that the flies or nymphs your are using are good for your area. Your best source for information is the local fly shop that is closest to the water your are fishing. They can tell you what flies are working and how to fish them. Another great source is the fish biologist that covers your area.

A good resource for any Michigan Trout fisher is this book: Trout Streams of Michigan by Bob Linsenman and Steve Nevala. It covers most of the main Trout waters in your area. It has a hatch chart in the back of the book. I can highly recommend this book. Try to get the 2nd Edition if you find a used one.

Michigan also has a lot of Fly Fishing Clubs and you might want to join one.

Frank
Old 04-29-2008, 10:42 AM

tie one on will become famous soon enoughtie one on will become famous soon enough

I too live in Michigan, but I tend to agree with Frank's
comment that it's best to check with a local shop for
what the trout maybe taking.

Nymphing is a very good method to use, but it does take
some patience & technique, at least where I fish.

Try using a Hares nymph, or maybe a smaller size stonefly
these are a few that work, but there are numerous patterns
out there.

best of luck,

Tie One On
Old 04-29-2008, 06:36 PM

Greenwood will become famous soon enoughGreenwood will become famous soon enough

This might sound oversimplified, but try a cast (a grouping) of 2 or 3 soft-hackles. Maybe a Partridge and Green (or Orange) on top (say size 16); a hares-ear soft hackle in the middle (size 14 or 16) and a herl and starling (size 18) on point. I bet it won't take too long to find what they want. Fish 'em upstream like a dry (don't add any weight to the leader); let 'em float down through on a dead drift; they'll slowly sink down into the water column; then let 'em rise up at the end of the drift. Let 'em hang in the water a few seconds at the end of the drift. Keep a little slack in the line while they're hanging in case you do get a ping at the end. That will give the fish more of a chance to suck the fly into its mouth. Try to pinpoint specific holding areas and watch for that odd riser. That will be one really ready to eat!
Old 04-29-2008, 06:50 PM

Greenwood will become famous soon enoughGreenwood will become famous soon enough

.....and, as an afterthought, don't be shy about adding a little action at times. A little wiggle of the rod tip ought to do it; just enough to make those little buggers look like they're trying to work their way out of their skin and swim to the surface! Ha!
Old 04-30-2008, 08:08 AM

FlyGuy7 is on a distinguished road

thank you guys for your help i will give it a shot!
Old 05-02-2008, 11:40 AM

fishenrg is on a distinguished road

Definitely stick with it. I live up near Traverse City and have the same problem that you do. I live about 3 minutes from the Platte River up here, near where it is probably 20-30 feet wide and anywhere from 6" to 3' deep. Its also crystal clear. The trout are in there, I see them everytime I'm out. I just am yet to have any real success with them. I caught one last year on a dry fly, it was a brookie probably about 2.5" long!

This year I've tried a few different things including wets and woollys. Still nothing. But I love trying and being out there. I think the water is still a bit cool plus the small stream lined with trees makes it difficult to cast from far enough away that they don't see me first.
Old 05-02-2008, 01:42 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute

Hi FlyGuy7 and fisherng,

Starting out is always hard for everybody. Try to fish where you know there are fish to catch. If you want to catch some fish and learn what it is all about quickly, hire a guide. You will learn a lot even on a 1/2 day trip. It will cut so much time off of your learning curve. I know it is expensive but it is worth every cent.

If you just can't come up with the money for a guide then buy a Fly Fishing Instructional DVD.

Frank
Old 05-03-2008, 08:15 AM

fishenrg is on a distinguished road

Hi Frank,

I've been seriously considering a guide for sure. I think I have learned all that I can from books, etc., and now it could be time for that last little nudge. There is a pretty good fly shop that I go to in town. I've never asked them any advice, but I've bought plenty of stuff there. I'll probably check out their rates since they have always been extremely nice and helpful to me. What do you think about 2 person trips? I've got a cousin-in-law that would be interested too, and having 2 people drops the per person rate.

All in all though, I know the fish are there. I see them...often swimming away! I think the area that I go is particularly challenging, but I'd love to see someone who knew what they were doing give this area a shot. Preferrably me!
Old 05-03-2008, 11:08 AM
Administrator

Hi fishenrg,

Nothing wrong with two in the boat. You do have to work out with the other person how to share the front seat. In some circumstances I think the back seat has an edge. The from seat is always fishing new water but I think the first fly gets the attention of the fish and all of a sudden there is another fly and they take the second offering. It is best to decide how you want to switch seats so they is no question on the water.

I do a lot of bass fishing in Florida and I prefer to fish alone. I think trout fishing is enhanced with a partner. Trout fishing is a lot about respect for the fish and the understanding of catching a nice fish by your partner is special to you also. I have never had this feeling while bass fishing. Inexperience fly fishers with a partner can share what the guide is doing and between the two of you well retain more of the information.

Things to look for with a guide. The knots, the rigging, the indicator, the flies used, the size of the flies and especially how he positions the boat. What kind of water you are catching fish in, what cover the fish are using, the weather, what the weather was the day before, the time of day and anything else that will help you catch fish.

Here is another trick that will help you in future years. Keep a log and note all of the above. Then next year at the same time of the year you will have a guide as to what the fish are doing. A log is a great tool and more fly fishers should be using them. Not only does a log give you fishing information but in future years you will appreciate reading the log and reminiscing about the trip.

About your local fly shop. Buying stuff from the shop entitles you to information. They are a wonderful source of what flies are working in their area. Don't be bashful about asking for help or information.

Frank