The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2008, 10:29 PM

BukWild is on a distinguished road
Default Re: caught my biggest steel of the season.

sweet! that is a beautiful fish!
Old 11-26-2008, 11:31 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly

thanks man. this is a old post. I caught that fish this spring. I have caught 3 this fall since then but none as nice as that one. hopefully the weather will warm up and my river don't freeze any more than it already is and i will get some more pix asap!! stupid weather is way colder than the normal.

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 12-25-2008, 09:22 PM

socalsalt will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
No argument here guys, I like to say that I never saw a Salmon or Steelhead I can't catch. As a matter of fact if I can't see any fish I'm in the wrong place! Once I see them it is just a matter of adjusting the weight and the swing so as to present the fly. At that point the fish usually take over and thank God for reels with a good drag.

Ard
Just to set the record straight, if you are on a river with a shallow riffle and steelhead protecting a Redd, you think it should be enouraged to fish on this shallow redd?
Old 12-25-2008, 10:15 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold

steelhead on our rivers on the great lakes cannot reproduce naturally. they are stocked. lots of people fish them on the redds or fish for the fall back fish behind the fish on the redds. this steel pictured was caught next to some spawners on a clouser minnow. the deepest my river is where I fish is like 4-5 feet at most. most of the time you can see the bottom.especially in the summe rwhen its shallowand low flow. we only have steel here a limitied time of the year and most of that time its frozen over. I caught 3 this fall then the river froze up. now all we got left is the end of winter and spring(spawn) until it gets hot out then they leave into the lake. I fish the rivers here all year round and whatevers in the river gets my attention. you can't catch any bass now cause its too cold. steelhead it is until they leave then its smallies the rest of the year until they return.

Old 12-26-2008, 11:28 AM

socalsalt will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeMcFly View Post
steelhead on our rivers on the great lakes cannot reproduce naturally. they are stocked. lots of people fish them on the redds or fish for the fall back fish behind the fish on the redds. this steel pictured was caught next to some spawners on a clouser minnow.
Like I have said before George, since they are infertile go ahead and have as much fun as you can! But if you are visiting family in Sacramento, and decide to fish the lower American, and see a nice 15 pound hen digging her redd in 24 inches of water, and a 12 pound male right behind her, PLEASE DO NOT FISH TO THEM!

In fact there are some wardens in California who will cite you (over $300) for fishing to steelhead on redds in shallow riffles.
Old 12-26-2008, 11:48 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalsalt View Post
Just to set the record straight, if you are on a river with a shallow riffle and steelhead protecting a Redd, you think it should be enouraged to fish on this shallow redd?
Not the redd but there are often a group of subordinate males down stream and I often pick up one of them. As for fishing the nest because the F&G people say that the fish do not and can not reproduce, I would call that deregulation and that doesn't seem to work out in any theater.

Pa. Fish & Boat always said the Trout couldn't reproduce in many of our streams when I resided in Pa. The Game Commission also said that Mountain Lions were extinct in Pa.

I assure you, I caught many stream bred brown trout and on September 21 1982 a full grown Mountain Lion stood about ten meters in front of my stopped car under the high beams. What does all of this prove? Don't believe everything you are told and make up your own mind whether or not to jump off the bridge. Don't jump just because everybody else is doing it.

I try to promote good ethical use of fishery resources but ultimately it is up to the individual where and how they wish to fish. I only take issue if a practice is unlawful. If the practice is not deemed unlawful by the fish commission then who am I to preach.

In closing I will say that sometimes the spawning season offers the only chance to take some species of fish in a given watershed, if that be the case then by all means I will fish the spawning run but no, I would not encourage fishing a shallow redd! You will more than likely foul hook the male and if the hen takes the fly she may drop the eggs. Fertile or not this is not a good practice to fall in with.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:59 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

George, where did you get the idea that Steelies that are stocked in the Great Lakes are incapable of spawning? If stocked in streams with suitable temperatures the eggs found in those redds you see the fish on will hatch and grow to smolt stage just like "wild" fish.

Dan
Old 01-04-2009, 06:28 PM

JagXJ684 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to JagXJ684

I caught this one, MY FIRST, last spring in the Rocky River! It was fantastic! It took a black wooly bugger and ran down stream, probably about 75 yards, before I could get my hands on it. This fish has me 'hooked'!

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...-steelhead.jpg
Old 01-04-2009, 07:31 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuronRiverDan View Post
George, where did you get the idea that Steelies that are stocked in the Great Lakes are incapable of spawning? If stocked in streams with suitable temperatures the eggs found in those redds you see the fish on will hatch and grow to smolt stage just like "wild" fish.

Dan
I gotta second what Dan has stated, I've seen lots of places(lower 48) where the DF&G says the fish can not reproduce where they do! Granted mortality is high but they do in fact reproduce.

With that said, fish those beds with restraint if you must and for gosh sakes don't risk hooking a hen.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:59 PM

ya most of the fish I caught were the males around the redd. they chased down clousers from like 2-3 feet away and tore um up. I never foul hooked them nor tried to line a fish to catch one. only caught me one hen once that dropped a few eggs but I got her back in and she went right back to what she was doing as soon as I did. I usually will try to fish behind the spawning females or off to the sides of them and not hook them. they don't seem to be the agressive ones its the males that are what you usually catch.. I fish that river 24/7 all season so whats in it at the time is what gets my attention. but if I was on a natural trout stream I wouldn't even try to cast to them. huron dan I fish the vermilion in ohio. never seen nor caught any small baby steelie plus I have read that a baby steel has to stay in the river for at least a season or 2. the rivers are too hot in the summer to sustain these fish plus we have alot of silt and this will drown the eggs of oxygen and they won't hatch. just what I've read and been told. jag gotta love catching steelies! they are a blast. like I said before I am not this huge redd fisher so don't look down on me cause I have fished during spawning season.