The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2008, 05:55 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly
Default caught my biggest steel of the season.

I also caught the biggest steel I have caught to date! didn't measure it but it looked bigger and felt heavier than that 27 incher for sure by a a lil! had a huge tail and was full of power!! used this minnow pattern I made the other day. what a fight and what colors!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SNV30596.JPG (79.3 KB, 148 views)
File Type: jpg SNV30595.JPG (82.3 KB, 96 views)

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 04-28-2008, 07:30 PM

FlyGuy7 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: caught my biggest steel of the season.

Good job. Nice fish!
Old 04-28-2008, 09:23 PM

Doubletap is on a distinguished road

Very nice fish, GMF - and no money shot!
Old 04-28-2008, 10:04 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold

thanks fly guy and dt. double tap HAHA!!! ya I was very happy with this fish! he kept it clean. if it wasn't 27 inch it was thinker that the 27 incher I caught before. I used the bling bling minnow I posted the other day. but I just cut off half the bling!! lol the bottom half to be exact. let the white sparkle chenille be the bottom and it had a pearl krystal flash wing. it didn't work until I clipped off the bottom chart flash. then it caught this steelie followed by another steel on the very next cast by my cousin! got him his 1st steel ever. funny tho. his steel looked really deformed and beat to heck!
it had a smashed in looking forehead and long lower jaw. it had only one eye. it was like a steelhead that shows up in a scary nightmare haha.

Old 04-28-2008, 10:10 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Dood, your luck with the steel is becoming pretty damn impressive. I'll have to admit I'm a bit jealous, as the 8+ hours of swinging Oregon rivers produced NONE for me. (I even dated a girl with a house on the Clackamas!)

Keep it up. I'm glad to know I can consult you if I ever get the chance to chase steel in your area.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 04-28-2008, 11:12 PM

lol thanks bigcliff. keep at it! I am thinking I am having way better luck tho because the rivers are so shallow you can see um swimming around and sight cast to um.. basically you find the right color and swing it right in front of there face and they take it if ya do it just right.. more times tho seems a buck steelie will take it. I've had 1 hen outta the the 5 fish I caught. all 5 catches were right in the corner of the mouth also. some guys on the local forum said they look down on sight fishing an say a true angler catches them blind. I say I am just glad I caught some finally and they are prolly just a lil jealous lol. I will learn to catch um blind when I can't see um. but as for now if ya see um. still fish um.. all these were C&R and all lived from what I have observed. also these are stocked fish so catching them when spawn is ok cause they can't reproduce here in our stream. it gets to hot and its too silty also about consulting me I can't for thr life of me catch one on a egg pattern like the others say they do. all mine were on clousers and minnow imitations.

Old 04-28-2008, 11:27 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Dang Matt, your gonna wear that rod out!!
Way to go.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 04-29-2008, 08:59 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

...some guys on the local forum said they look down on sight fishing an say a true angler catches them blind.

Hi Matt,

Anybody who looks down on a sight fly fisher, or a sub-surface fly fisher is not someone I would pay much attention to. Some of the same people will cast a dry fly to a rise and they don't think that is sight fishing. That is as much sight fishing as seeing a sub-surface fish and casting to it. You could even say that fishing with an indicator is sight fishing.

Frank
Old 04-29-2008, 07:57 PM

ya Frank I don't give um any mind. Heck I am just happy to be out there even if I catch anything or not. hey fysh if it wears out I will use my new 7 wt custom rod teamed with my orvis battenkill mid arbor! its sweet!!! heres a few pics of it. its on its way now. I might even have to switch and use the custom now and use my cabelas as the backup. lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 00anewrod!1.jpg (23.1 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg 00anewrod!2.jpg (31.8 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg 00anewrod3.jpg (27.9 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 00anewrod!4.jpg (23.6 KB, 28 views)

Old 04-29-2008, 08:37 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Sight fishing is cheating? That's ridiculous.

Its called fishing, not faith-ing. I'd recommend to anybody that they sight fish every chance they get, and fish blind when necessary.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.