The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2008, 02:54 AM

NickFlyer is on a distinguished road
Default Newbie Fly Fisher and going to Yellowstone

I have been fishing my entire life mostly all Bass fishing. I loved to go spin fishing in streams and rivers for trout and small mouth but would always get frustrated that my salmon eggs were getting ignored for the most part. I have been infatuated with Fly Fishing ever since I saw my uncle playing with a fly rod when I was 10. I finally got the courage after much research to buy a fly rod and all the fixins minus the waders (waiting for my tax return). There are some local rivers and streams here on the central coast here in CA but generally good trout streams are sparse. The last time I was in real trout waters were up at Hat Creek in the cascades and it was pure bliss.

The girlfriend and I are making a trip up to yellowstone in about a month and a half and needless to say I am wetting my pants every time I think about it. I will be making a few trips to those local rivers to try and scare up some rainbows before our voyage north to help get my feet wet, and luckily I know a few guys that have agreed to take me under their wing as they make frequent trips out of state.

I wanted to know if any of you wiley old veterans had any advice for me think about or suggestions for my voyage up to Yellowstone (flies, techniques, rivers, etc.).

Sorry for the long post but thanks for reading.
Old 05-06-2008, 05:02 AM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo
Default Re: Newbie Fly Fisher and going to Yellowstone

Welcome to the forum. There are a lot of great rivers to fish in Yellowstone. Though the Yellowstone river does not open until July 15th.

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 07-30-2008, 08:08 PM

Lambster has a spectacular aura aboutLambster has a spectacular aura about

We visited Yellowstone last year and done very well! Slough Creek was very good to us........ best fished early in the morning! Gardner R. also put out some nice browns... Parachute Adams #14's and Caddis worked well for us, throw these up against the edges of the river and you will pick up some nice Browns! We went in August for eight days and also take some Hopper patterns............... tight lines! PM me for more info..... don't mind sharing info!
Tight lines.................... Lambster
Old 07-31-2008, 10:04 AM

devon flyfisher will become famous soon enoughdevon flyfisher will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambster View Post
We visited Yellowstone last year and done very well! Slough Creek was very good to us........ best fished early in the morning! Gardner R. also put out some nice browns... Parachute Adams #14's and Caddis worked well for us, throw these up against the edges of the river and you will pick up some nice Browns! We went in August for eight days and also take some Hopper patterns............... tight lines! PM me for more info..... don't mind sharing info!
Tight lines.................... Lambster
I second Lambster's post, we fished Slough Creek and the Gardiner river 3 weeks ago and did very well, hit the Gardner at the start of the Salmon fly hatch.
Slough creek was our favourite though, at least the mosquitos will be gone when you intend fishing.
Cheers
Richard
www.devonflyfisher.com