The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2008, 07:16 AM

Bmumme is on a distinguished road
Default Wyoming Trip Advice?!

Howdy,

I'm new to the forums and have a few questions. My father and I scheduled a last minute fly fishing trip at Jackson Hole, Wyoming for next Thursday, May 22, which we will probably start off with a guide for the first day. I was wondering if anyone had an opinion or review of the the guide services and outfitters up there. We have been fly fishing once in New Mexico about 10 yrs ago. We are setup with all our gear, but we are novice fly fisherman. So just a couple questions.....

Where do ya'll recommend we fish, which lakes, rivers, creeks, public areas?

Most importantly, what are the names of some recommended guide services and their areas that they cover?

Thanks
-Ben-
Old 05-12-2008, 09:35 AM

Location: Bozeman, MT and Sheridan, WY but now Houston, Texas
MTskibum has a spectacular aura aboutMTskibum has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Wyoming Trip Advice?!

Davo from this forums guides down there.

UpStream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures -- "Providing outdoor adventures since 1991"

Even if you decide not to go with him, i am sure he will answer your questions on where to spend time when you arent being guided.
Old 05-12-2008, 12:55 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Bmumme,
Dave can give you all the good info needed for that area.

One thing that Dave has mentioned on here lately is the late Spring run-off this year, so that will be something to consider. Many waters may be blown out soon.

Another option you have because they are not effected by runoff so much are Tail Waters.
You do have some good Tail Waters within a couple hours drive time of J.H., The 'South fork' coming out of Palisades, and the 'Green River' coming out of Fontonelle.

Sorry to rain on your parade, but this has been a crazy Spring out here, with lower than average temps, so everything is slow to happen.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 05-12-2008, 01:11 PM

wtex50 will become famous soon enoughwtex50 will become famous soon enough

I've used High Country Flies in Jackson with good luck. I would highly recommend them. You can find them on the web
Old 05-12-2008, 01:54 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs up Re: Wyoming Trip Advice?!

High Country Flies has a terrific website. It's a great resource for fishing the Jackson Hole area. They seem very knowledgeable.

I've not had a guide yet when I've been up there, but from conversing with Davo on a number of fly-fishing topics for several months, I've no doubt that he would be excellent. If I ever do decide on a guide up there, he'd be my choice.
Old 05-12-2008, 04:08 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

Fly2fish,Fyshstykr,Skibum Thanks for the kind words guys. Bmumme our runoof has started and stopped a few times here as temperatures keep cooling off. The snow is gone up to about 8000 ft level but a lot up high. When it warms up that is going to blow out most rivers here. It will be difficult to find fishable water once the runoff starts.

I'm headed to the Florida Keys on the 22nd so I won't be here to help you out. I recommend you contact my boss Greg at Upstream Anglers(just click the link in my signature) He will be happy to help you out. The other recommendation is for High Country Flies. Do business with them all the time they are good folk. Ask for Howard there and tell him Dave with Upstream Anglers referred you.

Best of luck and I hope the runoff misses you!!!

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 05-12-2008, 05:12 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of

Almost forgot bring some warm clothes. even if it warms up during the day it can get cold at night. We are over 6000 ft above sea level. It will be cool in the mornings too. It was snowing when I got off work this morning at 5AM.

Old 05-12-2008, 05:42 PM

Bmumme is on a distinguished road

We should have looked further into the "Spring Runoff". I had never heard of it before, but I understand it now. We have very busy schedules, and limited on time for outings like this. Ass long as we can land a few fish, I'm sure we will still have a Great time.

Davo, I will give your boss Greg a holler and get the 411.

Thanks a lot guys.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:49 PM

wtex50 will become famous soon enoughwtex50 will become famous soon enough

If you want to get off the big rivers...give Crystal Creek a try it's Northeast of Jackson... I always enjoy Crystal Creek. And yes - High Country Flies has IMHO the best, most informative website of any fly shop I've been to - although Henry's Fork Anglers over in last Chance Idaho would run a pretty close 2nd as far as info on their site
Old 05-12-2008, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtex50 View Post
If you want to get off the big rivers...give Crystal Creek a try it's Northeast of Jackson... I always enjoy Crystal Creek. And yes - High Country Flies has IMHO the best, most informative website of any fly shop I've been to - although Henry's Fork Anglers over in last Chance Idaho would run a pretty close 2nd as far as info on their site
Crystal creek has some good fishing. It is private water at Red Rock Ranch. But below and above it is accessible to the public. Right now you can not get to Crystal Creek. They don't plow that road past Slide Lake. Our temps have not been warm enough to melt out the road so it is may still closed to the public. Usually does not open till just before Labor Day, the first people allowed in are antler hunters just before the Elk Antler auction on the town square. That maybe the weekend you are here so I would definitely take a drive up to see. Ask Greg when you call him he may know if it is open yet.