The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree47Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2017, 08:46 AM

big_dog1996 is on a distinguished road
Default Getting Serious About Trout

Hello everyone,

It has been probably 5 years now since I picked up my first fly rod, a Redington Crosswater 8wt combo from Bass Pro Shops. I taught myself to cast and spent that summer chasing largemouth bass in local ponds. Since then, I have been bitten by the fly bug.

Growing up in Southern Maryland, saltwater and warm-water fisheries were readily available to me. The Potomac River and Chesapeake Bay are where I spent most of my time fishing for bass, stripers, and bluefish. I have caught a few stocked rainbows on the fly before, but I haven't done a whole lot of trout fishing.

I currently attend college in Connecticut. I'll be a senior this fall, and I have a lot more time (and money) to fish. I am within a 2 hours drive of several trout fisheries, the Farmington, the Housatonic, etc. My goal is to become proficient (if at all possible) at catching trout on the fly.

This past spring I caught my first few brown trout on a fly. They were all 10-12" stockies, but fish nonetheless. I caught them fishing a tandem nymph rig on the bottom of a slow pool. I'll be first to admit, everything I know about trout fishing I have learned from online articles and YouTube videos. However, I now want to get serious about trout fishing.

Starting this fall I'm going to spend a lot more time fishing for trout. I'm going to keep updating this thread with my experiences so feel free to tag along and offer tips. I have no clue what I'm doing, but I'm sure it will be fun.....or frustrating.....

Thanks for reading,

Dom

---------- Post added at 07:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:41 AM ----------

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

Some pictures of my first couple brown trout to keep y'all interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ard, mcnerney, Bigfly and 16 others like this.

Tight lines my friends

Dom

Last edited by big_dog1996; 07-15-2017 at 09:58 AM.
Old 07-15-2017, 08:58 AM

djb_88 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Getting Serious About Trout

In my experience the best way to learn is to get out there and try. I taught myself in a similar way and, although I don't consider myself proficient, I've learned a lot and I am confident I can catch trout. Keep watching YouTube, keep reading articles, keep reading the forum, and most importantly keep the fly in the water. When the fish aren't biting, keep fishing. Proficiency is achieved by the persistent. Also, find friends to fish with. It makes every outing more enjoyable and I've found that I learn more with others than on my own. Best of luck and enjoy the addiction.

Old 07-15-2017, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djb_88 View Post
In my experience the best way to learn is to get out there and try. I taught myself in a similar way and, although I don't consider myself proficient, I've learned a lot and I am confident I can catch trout. Keep watching YouTube, keep reading articles, keep reading the forum, and most importantly keep the fly in the water. When the fish aren't biting, keep fishing. Proficiency is achieved by the persistent. Also, find friends to fish with. It makes every outing more enjoyable and I've found that I learn more with others than on my own. Best of luck and enjoy the addiction.

I usually fish with two of my best friends. They are just as addicted as I am. It's always nice to have someone to talk to on the stream.

Tight lines my friends

Dom
Old 07-15-2017, 09:35 AM

benpuls98 is on a distinguished road

I am currently in a very similar situation as you are. Grew up in the Ohio, started fly fishing for bass in lakes and streams. Now I go to college in Pennsylvania, where I have a small stocked creek that runs through campus and a trophy trout fishery about 20 minutes away. I would definitely agree on the fishing buddies thing, I've never liked to fish with other people that much until I got to college, but when you find a couple of people who a) you like and b) actually kinda know what they are doing, it makes for a great time and a faster learning curve. The beautiful creations that have come out of some dorm room tying parties are a thing to behold. Also, I would recommend the smallstreamreflections blog, he is from Connecticut and probably fishes around the same area as you.

Old 07-15-2017, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benpuls98 View Post
I am currently in a very similar situation as you are. Grew up in the Ohio, started fly fishing for bass in lakes and streams. Now I go to college in Pennsylvania, where I have a small stocked creek that runs through campus and a trophy trout fishery about 20 minutes away. I would definitely agree on the fishing buddies thing, I've never liked to fish with other people that much until I got to college, but when you find a couple of people who a) you like and b) actually kinda know what they are doing, it makes for a great time and a faster learning curve. The beautiful creations that have come out of some dorm room tying parties are a thing to behold. Also, I would recommend the smallstreamreflections blog, he is from Connecticut and probably fishes around the same area as you.

I'll definitely check out that blog, Connecticut isn't very large so I'm sure we fish some of the same waters. I have yet to venture into fly tying, maybe somewhere down the road I will.

hairwing530 likes this.

Tight lines my friends

Dom
Old 07-15-2017, 09:46 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_dog1996 View Post
I usually fish with two of my best friends. They are just as addicted as I am. It's always nice to have someone to talk to on the stream.

Dom: That is an excellent method to help dial in what the fish are wanting to eat on any particular day, with friends fishing with you, you can compare what patterns or setups are working. Best of luck with your learning to fish for trout. One thing that I have found is that there is always something new to learn in fly fishing, it is a lifetime adventure and part of why I enjoy it so much. I'm looking forward to reading about your fishing adventures!
hairwing530 and kentuckysteve like this.

Old 07-15-2017, 09:50 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Dom
I'm guessing that you're in school in eastern CT. Probably not far from me.
Come the fall, you may be interested in attending some meetings in East Hartford of the CT Fly Fisherman's Association
Second Wednesday of the month, beginning in September. Free and open to the public.

THIS may interest you as well
Old 07-15-2017, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
Hi Dom
I'm guessing that you're in school in eastern CT. Probably not far from me.
Come the fall, you may be interested in attending some meetings in East Hartford of the CT Fly Fisherman's Association
Second Wednesday of the month, beginning in September. Free and open to the public.

THIS may interest you as well
I'm at the Coast Guard Academy down in New London. I'll definitely try to check out a couple of those meetings.

Tight lines my friends

Dom
Old 07-15-2017, 10:33 AM

stenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_dog1996 View Post

I have no clue what I'm doing, but I'm sure it will be fun.....or frustrating.....
Like a good cross-country vacation, half the fun is getting there!

It will be fun and there will be times of frustration... that never changes regardless of your experience level. If it was too easy you'd quickly become bored and onto something else.

Congrats on your first couple of brownies and look forward to hearing about your adventures.

Tight lines!
hairwing530 likes this.

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 07-15-2017, 02:05 PM
Administrator

Ard has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Ard Send a message via Skype™ to Ard

Hi Dom,

I'm a long ways from Connecticut so can't offer any advice on where to go but can still say nice job getting some browns

If you want to keep a running log of your progress here look into using the blog function associated with your Profile. You post to a blog the same way you do on threads, matter of fact you could take your post here and copy it into an opening blog post. If you consider doing that then your posts are all in one spot. I do it but can't say it'll suit everyone. If you were to want, then just hit edit on your post, then choose Go Advanced, then block everything including image info and copy it. With that done just click save to restore your original post and then proceed to your User Control Panel. Once you see where the Control Panel menu is at on the left side scroll down to find Blog at the bottom. When you click it I believe it will direct you on starting your pages. It's been years since I started one and I honestly forget the steps but hey, I figured it out so I'm quite sure you can too.

Anyway, congratulations on choosing a very special hobby and if you end up stationed over on Kodiak remember to get in touch with me, I'm not that far away.

Ard
hairwing530 likes this.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;