The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree1186Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2011, 12:57 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brown Trout Pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawdad View Post
Here's one from northern A.Z

Click the image to open in full size.
That's a beautiful Brownie. How rare is to find really good trout fishing in N AZ?
Old 04-03-2011, 02:18 PM

whitefish_slayer is on a distinguished road

Where in Northern AZ?
Old 04-03-2011, 03:13 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
That's a beautiful Brownie. How rare is to find really good trout fishing in N AZ?

Not rare at all.

AZ has lots of good lake fishing for stocker Rainbows, Apaches, even Brookies. This year is also the first year that Gila trout are available to catch.

There are a few places where Browns are still stocked in Lakes, but Most of the browns in this state are wild, they are no longer stocked in streams and rivers.

There are some very good places to catch browns, most are hard to get to (which is why they are still there), and while most of the small streams that hold them are filled with 8" - 10" beauties, there are places where 12" to 15" browns are avg and 20" fish get tricked on occasion.

You will likely not get an answer to the question "Where in AZ" unless he caught it at Chevy or the Black river, good brown trout waters are generally way back in canyons that require a 4x4 and a long hike. The names of these places are just whispered between friends and never shared on the internet. Heck, even places that are listed on the AZGFD site are seldom talked up on the net to keep the crowds down.

These guy are gear chuckers, but this gives an idea of what can be found in AZ if you work for it.

Old 04-24-2011, 06:32 AM

hunt247 is on a distinguished road

First brown of the year, not the best pic, taken with my phone.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:18 AM

57hotrodvw is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunt247 View Post
First brown of the year, not the best pic, taken with my phone.
Nice catch! Details?
Old 04-25-2011, 02:55 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Here are a couple Brown Trout from this past weekend's fishing:

Larry

Old 04-25-2011, 03:23 PM

hunt247 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57hotrodvw View Post
Nice catch! Details?
Well, I'm new to fly fishing & this was my first trip to the river to give my new fly rig a try. I hooked a 14" & 17" brook trout & this 19" brown, I was using a streamer of some kind, not sure what it's called, my freind fly fishes alot & has been helping me out. Sure was fun!!!
Old 05-03-2011, 06:06 AM

Didgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to behold

Buddy got this ice-out, 19-inch brown. The fish came barreling out from under the ice and whacked his fly. The water was about 37F! Pretty chilly in the float tube.

Old 05-08-2011, 04:17 PM

Didgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to behold

Got this guy fishing an olive zuddler pattern with intermediate line at William Lake, MB.
Old 05-08-2011, 06:29 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Nick: Congrats on the beautiful Brown trout! I really like the closeup of the side, high lighting the spots, that is a great view.

Larry