The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree874Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2012, 02:31 AM

bhflyfisher has a spectacular aura aboutbhflyfisher has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Brown Trout Pics

another recent one. from the river today. Hoppers were flying. Taped at 25 on the dot.

Click the image to open in full size.
mcnerney, madjoni and stl_geoff like this.
Old 08-29-2012, 05:29 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, that is one really nice looking Brown! Congrats!

Old 08-29-2012, 03:24 PM

stimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud of

Thats a really nice brown.
Old 08-30-2012, 05:41 PM

madjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud of
Send a message via Skype™ to madjoni

Few hours ago

mcnerney, stimulator2 and mysticm like this.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:45 AM

Didgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to behold

mcnerney likes this.
Old 09-02-2012, 07:04 PM

stuartpengs is a glorious beacon of lightstuartpengs is a glorious beacon of lightstuartpengs is a glorious beacon of lightstuartpengs is a glorious beacon of lightstuartpengs is a glorious beacon of light

A few brownies for myself and my mate Rob this season.

Old 09-11-2012, 10:45 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Stuart, those pictures are KILLER. As an awful photographer myself, do you mind a quick blurb about settings on those photos? Particularly that first shot. I assume you're using a high-end camera with a quality polarizing filter (I bought an exceptionally cheap one which needs replacing on my Canon SX40HS P&S), as well as super-high shutter speeds in the action photos, but all those shots are beautiful! Please keep them coming!
stuartpengs likes this.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 09-11-2012, 10:50 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Beautiful fish and HQ pics Stuart
stuartpengs likes this.
Old 09-15-2012, 06:11 AM

stuartpengs is a glorious beacon of lightstuartpengs is a glorious beacon of lightstuartpengs is a glorious beacon of lightstuartpengs is a glorious beacon of lightstuartpengs is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatortransplant View Post
Stuart, those pictures are KILLER. As an awful photographer myself, do you mind a quick blurb about settings on those photos? Particularly that first shot. I assume you're using a high-end camera with a quality polarizing filter (I bought an exceptionally cheap one which needs replacing on my Canon SX40HS P&S), as well as super-high shutter speeds in the action photos, but all those shots are beautiful! Please keep them coming!
Thanks chaps.

It's not really that high end, least not anymore. I use a Nikon D200 body which can be picked up pretty cheap these days, around £250 - £300 for a decent second hand one. As for lenses, for the fish shots then yes you need some pretty fast glass to be able to handle fast shutter speeds in sometimes pretty poor light. The lens I use for that kind of shot is a
Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 EX DG OS HSM Lens for Nikon Digital: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 EX DG OS HSM Lens for Nikon Digital: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo
. I was using my macro 105mm f2.8 last year, but started to get some some situations where it didn't quite have enough reach, so invested in the Sigma this year. As for settings, I wouldn't recommend going lower than 1/500th sec for that kind of shot, the benifit of the f2.8 is it will still get that kind of shutter speed even on the most miserable of days. If the light is better I'll up it to as high as 1/1000th sec, but I've found there's little to be had in going much higher than that. Try and maintain ISO locked at 100 or 200, or you might start to get noise. No filters used in the fish shots. Polarising filter will cost you a couple of stops shutter speed, so having it screwed on might take your shutter speed too low if the light is poor.
gatortransplant likes this.
Old 09-15-2012, 09:10 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Great fish on this page. Stuart your photography never is a disapointment
stuartpengs likes this.

Storm Drain Bonefisher