The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree1157Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2013, 04:57 PM

von behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud of
Default Re: Brown Trout Pics

Another Eastern Sierra brown:

Click the image to open in full size.Uploaded with ImageShack.com

Click the image to open in full size.Uploaded with ImageShack.com
Old 08-05-2013, 02:03 PM

stimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud of

19" Brown
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 08-08-2013, 12:54 AM

furnacefella is a jewel in the roughfurnacefella is a jewel in the roughfurnacefella is a jewel in the rough

Not a great picture and it certainly doesn't do this guy justice. The net in the picture is just over 10" wide and I estimate him to be over 25" long. Absolutely hammered a brown para-drake as soon as it hit the water.

The reason I wanted to post a picture of him is because of the epic battle he put up. Hooked him on a 6 wt Z-Axis, the weak link being the 3.4 lb powerflex tippet. He made several runs within a couple of revolutions of the backing and the Hardy DD was just screaming. He had current to help but up stream or down stream he was calling the shots.

It was 20 minutes of just awesome. I thought for sure he was foul hooked and had pretty much given up on landing him. I had hoped just to get a good look at him before dark when he came to the surface and I was able to steer him into the shallows.

Not the biggest fish I have caught but by far my best experience with a trout on a fly. I didn't want to risk stressing him more so just grabbed a quick shot with the cell phone and he was off like a shot.

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

This one my son and I got on a small stream. Same net in this shot as above to give an idea of size. I netted it for him after another great battle that could have went either way. Mitch made a delicate cast with a tiny white para-drake to fool this guy.

Have I mentioned how much I love Brown Trout?
Old 08-09-2013, 12:45 PM

caberguy will become famous soon enoughcaberguy will become famous soon enough

Found this 8"-9" stocker yesterday in Class 1 water 2-3 road miles from the nearest stocked area, energetic little pellet head, jumped three times in the 20 secs he was hooked, biggest little fish of the day:

caught a bunch of little brownies like this guy... had one little rainbow just about to hand when I stepped in a hole, put some slack in the line and let him go:

The didn't seem to be interested in anything but San Juan worms, and they were nailing them. No trophies, but it was still a lovely day.
Old 08-11-2013, 11:54 PM

furnacefella is a jewel in the roughfurnacefella is a jewel in the roughfurnacefella is a jewel in the rough

Hiked into a small spring feed stream that I haven't been to in a while. After rejecting every tiny dry in the box and becoming totally offended when I offered up a hopper, this guy finally sipped a wee CDC from the surface.

Old 08-16-2013, 08:37 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Here are a couple Browns from fishing dries on the Green River the other day:

Old 08-18-2013, 12:46 AM

Took the new Hardy out for a test run this after. It was a bit of a hike through a thick swamp to a stretch of river I had never been to. I arrived to a bunch of hungry Browns that obviously hadn't seen a fly for quite some time if ever. Gotta love Google Earth.

The rod is very nice as advertized. It is accurate and delivers dries gently considering the GPX taper I loaded it with. In hindsight I would probably load it with regular Mastery Series rather than the 5.5 wt. The Hardy 4000 DD is a nice balance for the 8ft 6in 5 wt rod. I am impressed with the SA textured line. It makes a little noise but flies through the guides and picks off the water with much less resistance than the regular line IMO.

A large caddis imitating the local stoneflies was the ticket this day.

A couple of really nice ones and several like this fellow.

mcnerney, baseman1 and jeepster II like this.
Old 08-21-2013, 01:25 AM

Monday was one of those days when a person just had to shake things up a bit and go fishing. I had to pretty much drag the young fellow out of bed at 11 am. He knows I don't like fishing in other peoples footprints so the hike was on.

My late father use to say that when you grow old all you have are your memories, take every opportunity to make some worth remembering. This day was one of those days.

Enough wind gusts to to send a hopper or two struggling in the current, light grey caddis and the odd stone fly skiddering on the surface, and a bunch of hungry trout eager to the fly. Several 18-22 inchers to the net and many more 12-18 inches.

Here is a couple of very special Browns made even most special having shared the day with my son. Both are well over 25 inches and more salmon like than trout. The young fellow was still smiling when we made it back to the truck after 10 pm by the light of the moon.

Old 08-22-2013, 04:02 PM

jeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of light

Persuaded this little creek brown to rise on a yellow stimi flipped into a log jam. You have to love those takes.

Old 08-27-2013, 04:34 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Here are a couple Green River, WY Brown trout caught on dries:

Larry