The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2010, 12:10 PM

bato is on a distinguished road
Default what kind of line?

New to fly fishing. Have caught some pan fish, small bass, etc... I want to start fishing for trout. Do you guys use floating line when fishing trout streams and rivers even if your fishing wet flies? I have a 4wt with floating line right now and was wondering if I need to get some sinking line put on another reel, thanks!
Old 08-31-2010, 12:53 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what kind of line?

Hi Bato,
That is a good question. The floating line is the most versatile line for trout fishing. One can fish dry flies, as well, as wet flies.

Another reel/spool with a different line will offer you another avenue to catching fish. Sink tip lines will allow you to get the fly to a desired depth and have good line control in moving water. A full sink line will allow you to get the fly to a desired depth without having to deal with topwater influences (like waves) in ponds or lakes.

Another option to consider is using sinking leaders. They come in a variety of lengths and sink rates. A simple loop to loop connection between line and leader is all it takes for a leader change. This setup gives you the advantage of being able to have a quick change without having to replace a reel or spool.

Visit your local fly shop, so you can get a better feel for your options.

Welcome to the forum.

MP
Old 08-31-2010, 12:54 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

A sink-tip could be useful if you fish streamers in deep water, but 90% of the time your floating line will suit you best
Most people don't use anything else.
Old 08-31-2010, 01:17 PM

bato is on a distinguished road

well what I was thinking is I would use my floating line for trout streams and rivers. I also have an old south bend real laying around without a rod that I thought maybe I would load up with some full sink 4wt line for when I fish ponds and lakes. What do you guys think?
Old 08-31-2010, 05:51 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I usually don't use anything but a floating line for my 4 weight. I have other rods for that.

With that said, if it is your only light line rod, it does not hurt to have another reel with a full sink line to fish ponds and lakes. It could open a new avenue for you to fish.

MP