The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2008, 09:07 AM

Joey W is on a distinguished road
Default rookie question..what's a stimulator?

ok, i mainly fish for trout in georgia and north carolina, and i'm trying to find reliable flies/patterns for this area. i read a lot of posts talking about stimulators with a fly dropped below it..

can someone explain this to me?

thanks a ton

joey
Old 05-26-2008, 09:54 AM

Greenwood will become famous soon enoughGreenwood will become famous soon enough
Default Re: rookie question..what's a stimulator?

Hi,
A Stimulator is a large dryfly, usually used to represent a stone fly or maybe a grass hopper. (Google it up, you'll find lots of variations). Because it's so buoyant, it is able to hold a second sinking fly off of the bend of its hook. The stimulator acts as an indicator for the unseen fly. There are other high floating patterns you can use in a like manner; such as Humpies, Wulff patterns and many patterns tied from foam such as beetles and hoppers.
Old 05-26-2008, 10:02 AM

Joey W is on a distinguished road

appreciate the info..

one other question, what type of loop or knot do you guys use to tie the dropper to the hook of the stimulator?
Old 05-26-2008, 10:38 AM
Administrator

Fish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Fish Bones

Attached are some photos of a few variations of the Stimulator dry fly.

As far as how to connect the dropper... I tie a section of mono to the hook bend of the floating fly using an improved clinch knot. However, there are several techniques that work equally well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stim3.jpg (27.2 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg stim1.jpg (25.9 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg stim2.jpg (25.3 KB, 67 views)

Old 05-26-2008, 12:02 PM

Greenwood will become famous soon enoughGreenwood will become famous soon enough

As Fishbones mentioned, a length of tippet (could be anywhere from 10" to 2 ft or more depending on what you're trying to do) is tied by a cinch knot to the bend of the hook of the floating fly. It is generally recommended that the peice of tippet be one size lighter than the tippet that the stimulator is tied to. That allows the 2nd fly to sink better AND if you do get hung up, you should break off the trailing fly first; thus saving ONE of your flies.
Old 05-26-2008, 09:36 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Just wanna throw out the fact that small stimi's size 16 and 18 make GREAT caddis imitations that float very well. (they're also one that I buy instead of tying myself, cuz they're dang tough to tie in those sizes)

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 05-26-2008, 09:42 PM

Good notation Cliff. Never thought of trying them as a Caddis imitation; and you're probably right about the small size being a 'pain' to tie.
Old 06-01-2008, 02:03 PM

tlcrep will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey W View Post
ok, i mainly fish for trout in georgia and north carolina, and i'm trying to find reliable flies/patterns for this area. i read a lot of posts talking about stimulators with a fly dropped below it..

can someone explain this to me?

thanks a ton

joey
A stimulator can represent either just a generic searching pattern, or if their are stoneflies in the system it can represent a stonefly. It is an improved fly from the sofa pillow.

A very effective strategy is using a dry on top, tying tippet to the bend or eye of the dry fly, then attaching a nymph or emerger to the tippet. Thus you can fish BOTH a nymph and a dry fly at the same time (try to open up your loop a bit so you dont tangle as much). How do you know if a fish takes your nymph? Well your dry acts like a indicator!! if the fish takes your nymph your dry fly will go down just like a indicator would!
Old 07-17-2008, 02:30 AM

professori is on a distinguished road

Stimulators can be tied ina size 14 or even 16. iIn the smaller sizes, they do well as a representation of a caddis. Friend of mine just had great success on an Alaskan lake with a peacock bodied stimulator I tied for him, imitating caddis flies.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:02 AM

OldMan will become famous soon enoughOldMan will become famous soon enough

Here's the one I use. Great during stone/hopper season.

Click the image to open in full size.