The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2010, 05:27 PM

adkjoe is on a distinguished road
Default Knotless leader and sinking lines

I have two questions so I'm going to combine them into this one thread.

1. Went to the fly shop today and was talking with the owner about full sinking and sinking tip lines. I have a 4wt rod with floating line that I use for just about everything (mostly trout on rivers and streams and occasionally bass and brook trout in still water ponds) I want to leave the floating line on the one reel and continue to use it for trout river and stream fishing. I have a spare reel that I want to also put 4wt line on but I can't decide what will suit me better, full sink or sink tip. The guy at the shop told me the full sink would be better for trolling in the canoe and the sink tip would be better for casting from shore/wading. So what I want to use it for is 50% canoe fishing on still water and 50% hiking to back country ponds WITHOUT the canoe (also still water) and wading probably knee high or so. So with what I want to do what do you guys think would be better, full sink or sinking tip? If it matter it will be a lot of back country Adirondack ponds.

2. I have always tied my own leaders but decided to try a knot less I picked up at the store today. It's a 9ft 4x trout leader. Do I just tie flies on until the taper starts to get to thick then start tying on my own tippet or do I just use it until the factory tippet taper is gone and throw it out and get a new one? How do I know when to tie on more?

Thanks guys!

Last edited by adkjoe; 08-31-2010 at 06:08 PM.
Old 08-31-2010, 05:38 PM

jd110tlb is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Knotless leader and sinking lines

As far as the line goes i would go full sink. Leaders i just keep tying on tippet
Old 08-31-2010, 05:45 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

You won't need a sink-tip for hike in ponds. The floating line will do.

I think you said on another post that you had an 8wt.
I'd use that for trolling especially if you're going to be out on Champlain

I have four 4wts and none of them has ever seen a sinking line
Old 08-31-2010, 06:08 PM

Yea I do have an 8wt that I would use on Champlain but not on small ponds or hiking. Is a sinking line not recommended for a 4wt?
Old 08-31-2010, 06:57 PM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

As for leaders, attach tippet (I usually put on about 2-3 feet) and when you run out of tippet (from nipping it to put a fly on) attach more. You will get a lot more use out of it that way. I typically keep attaching tippet until the leader gets to thick to tie a proper knot.
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog
Old 08-31-2010, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant View Post
As for leaders, attach tippet (I usually put on about 2-3 feet) and when you run out of tippet (from nipping it to put a fly on) attach more. You will get a lot more use out of it that way. I typically keep attaching tippet until the leader gets to thick to tie a proper knot.
Yea that's what I figured just wanted to make sure. that's what I do with home-made leaders, I usually tie on tippet until I get to the 2nd knot of the graduation section. I got a great recipe from the Curtis creek manifesto I'm sure many of you have read/have it, if you don't it's an amazing book.