The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2008, 04:43 PM
dooolan is on a distinguished road
Default Pinedale, Wyoming

Hey everyone,

I was wondering if any of you guys know anything about fishing the Pinedale area. I will be there for a week around early August. I like to fish streams mostly but I have heard about excellent lake fishing opportunities in the area. I will not have a boat and therefore will be fishing from shore. Last of all, I prefer to not see many other folks fishing, and I prefer to not be runoff by platoons of drift boats screaming down the river. I have heard that BLM access sites on the Green near Warren Bridge can be busy? Is this true? How are the beer prices? In advance, thank you for divulging any information that you can muster up!!!

Doolan-----
Old 06-03-2008, 05:56 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo
Default Re: Pinedale, Wyoming

Quote:
Originally Posted by dooolan View Post
Hey everyone,

I was wondering if any of you guys know anything about fishing the Pinedale area. I will be there for a week around early August. I like to fish streams mostly but I have heard about excellent lake fishing opportunities in the area. I will not have a boat and therefore will be fishing from shore. Last of all, I prefer to not see many other folks fishing, and I prefer to not be runoff by platoons of drift boats screaming down the river. I have heard that BLM access sites on the Green near Warren Bridge can be busy? Is this true? How are the beer prices? In advance, thank you for divulging any information that you can muster up!!!

Doolan-----
The only public access on the Green is up river from the Warren bridge on the North side. Usually not that busy. Public access goes up a few miles I believe, also camping sites up that dirt road. Best guess is where that road ends so does the public access. Everyone floats the private property below that. Few people float the water above. It is good fishing in that area. Have not done any fishing up by Green River Lakes but know there is public access up there too.
Don't know much about the lakes, sorry.

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 06-05-2008, 11:13 AM
Account on hold

kais 4795 is on a distinguished road

I am now livingin Colorado, but I grew up in southwest Wyoming and still get up there every summer for a week or two. Alot of my family still lives up there. Pinedale is an awesome place. Some good fishing holes are Soda Lake (monster brown trout) and Dollar Lake. Soda has alot of pressure at first, but it tapers off after the first week of opening. Dollar is a hit and miss lake, but it it didn't winter kill, it can have some nice rainbows in it. Another cool lake is Meadow Lake. It is full of grayling, one of the only lakes I know of where you can catch a bunch of them. As far as creeks go, the Green is awesome. There is more public fishing down towards Fontenelle Dam which is only an hour away.

If you want to get away from the crowds and catch some nice Brook trout, walk to the upper end of Newfork lake. It has been several years, but I had some awesome evenings fishing the sand flats there with size 14 brown wooly buggers. It was not uncommon to catch 50 or 60 in a few hours and some of the fish were in the 16-18 inch range, very nice brookies.

Honestyly, there is so much to fish up there, it's hard to tell a person where the best time could be spent. Have fun!

Kais
Onetoomanyhobbies.com
Old 06-05-2008, 11:24 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Here is a link on the Wyoming Fishing Network that lists some of the public access sites and directions on the Green

Wyoming Fishing Network:The Green River

Larry
Old 06-05-2008, 06:55 PM
dooolan is on a distinguished road

Thanks fellows!!!! I always like to do a little research before I go somewhere new and these forums can be very helpful at times. My in laws live up near Daniel and will have some information too in regards to where they like to go. From what I gather, I will have to try hard to not catch fish.

Thanks again!
Old 06-11-2008, 01:37 AM

Nooksack Mac is on a distinguished road

The July issue of "Fly Fisherman" has an article, "Wyoming Range at Risk" by Ret Talbot (p. 16-21) that, between the dire warnings, makes the Pinedale area sound like the latest Last Great Place.
Old 06-12-2008, 10:00 AM
Account on hold

kais 4795 is on a distinguished road

I would agree that is one of the Last Great Places. It is an awesome place to go if you want to get out and see some beautiful country without the crowds. Having grown up there, I would have to say that things are changing. Everytime I get back up in that country, I notice it. There are more and more people and more and more oil rigs. The cool thing about the area is the amount of public land. You can still get out and do some good exploring without tromping across any fences. Sadly, this is also starting to change, and in a few years, might not be the case. Get up there and see it while the seeing is good.
Kais
Onetoomanyhobbies.com
Old 06-14-2008, 07:56 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Dooolan

Davo, Fysh and myself just got back from the Pinedale, WY area. We fished the Green River from just above the Warren Bridge down to the fish hatchery just north of Daniel Junction. We put in on the BLM land that has a an access road off hwy 191 just past the Warren Bridge. There are approximately 12 river access points along that river, we put in on #2. We fished on a Friday and saw maybe 12 people coming and going. When we put in at #2 we were the only ones there and when we came back to pick up the rigs there was two other groups camping there, but the river is so big that you can easily find areas to fish where you will see no other anglers and the further up the river you go the less likely you will see any floaters.
Beer prices.......can't help you there, I didn't buy any, but Daniel Junction is only approx. 7 miles south with a convenience store and gas station.

Good fishing with lots of great pocket water on the Green! I had a blast fishing with Fysh and Davo.

Larry
Old 06-16-2008, 07:35 AM

2PawsRiver will become famous soon enough

It's good to hear good things about Pinedale. We will be fishing that area Aug 17th, through the 25th.

Hiking the Highland Trail from the Green River Lake to the Roaring Fork trail, past Native Lake, Crescent Lake and Faler Lake. Then over the hill to Clear lake then working our way down Clear Creek towards the Green River Lake. Right about 20 miles over 7 days.

Just curious if anybody has fished the Roaring Fork or Mill Creek in that area and of course input on flies is always appreciated.
Old 08-26-2008, 03:02 AM

aylen is on a distinguished road

I don't know fishing.But i feel happy to watch fishing.They will feel great if any fish is caught.Fishing is not that much easy.Fishing gives enjoyment.

========================
aylen
Wyoming Drug Addiction