The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2010, 04:43 PM

adkjoe is on a distinguished road
Default All in all a good day

Got up at 530 this morning and went down to the Winooski river today. It was pretty windy 15-20mph but that still didn't stop me. No trout unfortunately, saw 3 rise to something on the surface but couldn't figure out what they were eating. Put on at least half a dozen flies from Adams, copper John, hares ear, olive wooly bugger, even an SJ worm but no go not even a taste. All in all it was still a great day and I will be back at it tomorrow morning. The husky came along as usual and caught a mouse, at least we both didn't go home empty handed! The best part about fishing near waterbury is going to the black back pub and fly shop after a day on the river. That's right a pub with all kinds of local craft beers on tap and it's also a fly shop!! could it get any better?

Click the image to open in full size.

Sonya on the mouse scent and watching me not catch fish
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 09-05-2010, 11:10 PM

raindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud of
Default Re: All in all a good day

A pub and fly shop in one???? WANT. Lots of pubs around me, but very few fly shops.... That is a Great! looking dog.

IF I can get up tomorrow am-- I'll be on the water--- had the neighbors over, grilled, put a fire in the fire pit, and indulged in several Sierra Nevada Pales.... Twas a good evening.
Old 09-06-2010, 01:00 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

My first thought when I saw Sonya's pic was "Squirrel!"
Old 09-06-2010, 02:09 AM

driftless will become famous soon enoughdriftless will become famous soon enough

Gorgeous pics! I agree pretty dang hard to beat a fly shop/pub combo!
Old 09-06-2010, 07:23 AM

Yea seriously theres nothing better than a craft beer bar that sells fly's and gear and gives great fishing advice. I'm relativley new to Vermont so I love finding all these great places.

In case your ever in the area.
Blackback Pub & Flyshop - Home
Old 09-06-2010, 09:19 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by adkjoe View Post
Yea seriously theres nothing better than a craft beer bar that sells fly's and gear and gives great fishing advice. I'm relativley new to Vermont so I love finding all these great places.

In case your ever in the area.
Blackback Pub & Flyshop - Home
I'm older now and this wouldn't be as much a threat as it would a novelty. But I am so thankful that the Slate Run Tackle Shop did not serve beer in the 1980s' and 90s'. I would have been the guy who lived under the I 180 overpass on Pine Creek with all the fishing gear.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-06-2010, 09:23 AM

bobbyc21fish is on a distinguished road

That is a beautiful dog.
Old 09-06-2010, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
I'm older now and this wouldn't be as much a threat as it would a novelty. But I am so thankful that the Slate Run Tackle Shop did not serve beer in the 1980s' and 90s'. I would have been the guy who lived under the I 180 overpass on Pine Creek with all the fishing gear.

haha it's very dangerous trust me! It draws a really good crowd though, in addition to being a craft beer bar they also have a whisky and scotch bar. It's a small place that was opened by a local lawyer/fisherman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyc21fish View Post
That is a beautiful dog.

Thank you, she's a sweetheart!