The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2008, 11:19 AM

Dry fly magic is on a distinguished road
Default Suckers?

I was fishing a brook last week and I spotted these huge fish under a bridge near where I was fishing. They were 1-2 feet long and looked alot like trout so I quickly tied on a wooly bugger and fished with it for about 20 minutes with no success. These fish wouldnt even come off of the bottem they just layed there. So I kept trying different flies, parmachene belle, gold ribbed hares ear, mickey finn but still had no success. I didnt even provoke them. After a bit an old fellow walks by and asks if I caught anything I told him no but then told him about these "trout" under this bridge. He took 1 look at them and said oh no those arent trout those are suckers and he said they only feed off dead things at the bottem. Anyone ever hear of these suckers?
Old 06-15-2008, 07:01 AM

FlyGal has a spectacular aura aboutFlyGal has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Suckers?

Suckers are bottom feeders that clean up....They are not interested in flies, But....Suckers spawn in the early spring and sucker eggs are high in food value so trout know and follow to eat the sucker eggs - they do this in lakes and rivers. So if you find your self on the water in early spring and spot some suckers running to spawn you can bet some nice trout will be following not far behind.
Old 06-15-2008, 10:45 PM

ezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the rough

to reflect my 80s california upbringing... suckers are totally GROSS. i don't even like to touch them and the one time i did, i had found one entangled in fishing line in a few inches of water, alive but in dire peril, so i worked it free and let it go. but i didn't touch it. that mouth of theirs... ugh. yes, on occasion, i can be squeemish.

a buddy once found a pod of fish he thought were trout and shot some pics from the bank. turned out they were suckers and in one tailwater near my home, they get big. 2-3 feet in length is not uncommon. the suckers i see are often in groups and with that god-awful sucker mouth at the bottom of the front, they cover the bottom rocks looking for food like a vacuum cleaner. since the rocks are bowling ball shaped at times, by watching them for a few minutes, you can see all angles of their bodies as they forage for food. sides, tops, bottoms sometimes. they often glimmer golden since they are a deep yellow color. some call them low elevation "golden trout" in jest. a buddy who fishes standard dries and nymphs catches them on occasion so they do eat bugs though usually he connects with nymphs i'd guess.

suckers are not to be confused with whitefish or pike minnow. both also relatively trout-shaped.

eric
fresno, ca.
Old 06-15-2008, 11:25 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I think the only way you're going to hook into a sucker is by great luck or accident on their part. The last time out I was fishing a weighted carp fly and was attached to one briefly. He quickly decided he wasn't into the pierced snout look and got free.

Thing was about 24" long, would have been lots of fun!

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 06-17-2008, 12:50 AM

tlcrep will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
I think the only way you're going to hook into a sucker is by great luck or accident on their part. The last time out I was fishing a weighted carp fly and was attached to one briefly. He quickly decided he wasn't into the pierced snout look and got free.

Thing was about 24" long, would have been lots of fun!
Not really. As a avid steelheader who has had to deal with them, suckers fight worse than freshly stocked trout. They are REALLY LAZY. REALLY REALLY REALLY lazy.
Old 01-02-2009, 02:50 AM

Douglas Wesson is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry fly magic View Post
I was fishing a brook last week and I spotted these huge fish under a bridge near where I was fishing. They were 1-2 feet long and looked alot like trout so I quickly tied on a wooly bugger and fished with it for about 20 minutes with no success. These fish wouldnt even come off of the bottem they just layed there. So I kept trying different flies, parmachene belle, gold ribbed hares ear, mickey finn but still had no success. I didnt even provoke them. After a bit an old fellow walks by and asks if I caught anything I told him no but then told him about these "trout" under this bridge. He took 1 look at them and said oh no those arent trout those are suckers and he said they only feed off dead things at the bottem. Anyone ever hear of these suckers?
LOL, yup. We called them Hood River Browns and when fishing is slow we'd tie on a egg patteren and bounch it along the bottem. They actually can give a good fight, well at least in the winter. And "no", I don't keep em.
Old 02-09-2009, 01:17 PM

handtie is on a distinguished road

Sucker = Nasty. I to come from Ca and see them in the feather once in awhile. I usually spot them by their bodies flopping around the bottom sucking on the rocks. I have ever caught any by standard methods. They have extremely strong eye balls and eye sockets (See story below) I did catch 1 one time by a foul hook.
Story
I was fishing with a very small inline spinner on a spinning rod and hooked up with something that I thought to be a weed or somewhat small log. When it got close to the bank I was like "Hey look it's a fish (couldn't really make it out yet), (a few seconds later) No wait it's a sucker." Then when it got real close I noticed I had foul hooked it in the eye! Yes right in the eyeball! Once he got to shore he started to fight a little but then just gave up. I pulled it to the bank and cut the hook barb off and left part in his eye. I was hoping it would work loose over time. It just swam away a few feet down and started sucking on a few rocks. What a dumb fish. They do however make great catfish bait in the snake river as I have been told!
Old 02-09-2009, 04:01 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi to all,

My first fish of size was a sucker that was 18" long. I was about eight years old and was using my dads bamboo fly rod. My family and I were up on the Kings River for a picnic. I was wearing, with great pride, my dad's wicker creel. I was fishing worms as I couldn't cast a fly and caught this huge fish. My dad said it was a trash fish. OK, but I wanted to eat it. Dad said you can't eat them. OK, but I still wanted to eat it. I remember driving away with my fish laying up on a rock and I was looking out the back window with a tear in my eye.

As a young fellow I use to get my dad's wicker creel out and wear it around the house. That thing just made me feel like a fisherman.

Frank
Old 02-09-2009, 07:55 PM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

Up in "sticks" of WV, I used to fish the creek that my grandparents had on their farm. For every rockbass or sunfish I'd catch, I'd snag 3 suckers. There was a lady who lived a ways down the road who used to eat them. They got bones over bones. Nasty.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:34 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

I've seen & caught suckers on streams locally here in NJ & in PA, N.H Conn. & ME. in other words they are pretty common. They tend to lay in groups on the bottom in the same areas as trout. I have seen trout & Salmon in the middle of a school of suckers year around not only when they spawn. The Sucker eggs fly really works in the spring.. Suckers will take a small nymph bouncing right on the bottom & I've caught quite a few nymphing with scuds & small caddis. They fight fairly well but tire quickly & become dead weight. They can be a bit*% when you catch a larger one in fast water on a 2 or 3 wt. & it turns sideways to the current. There have been days that they were the only fish & caught because they would take the nymph before it got to the trout or salmon I was sight fishing for. I don't kill them so I don't know anything about how palatable they are . I don't know any one else who eats them either...