The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2008, 10:47 AM

googoo is on a distinguished road
Default Slamon fishing in New York State

Novice seeking info on salmon fishing upstate New York (Adirondacks) region. Looking to go some time in late September for fishing and mountains....any good spots? tips? Looking to spend a long weekend up there to fish,hike etc. I heard Black Lake was good, but not sure salmon are there..also heard about the Salmon River...all advice needed. Thank you
Old 06-16-2008, 07:33 AM

Devils Onion is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Slamon fishing in New York State

I once fished Pulaski NY for the salmon run. I had a good time, caught some nice fish, however it was a total mob scene. People were basically elbow to elbow where the fish were in the river. Lines were getting tangled and fights would ensue. The locals hate out of towners as well. It was kind of a wild environment. I had a great time, but I would not recommend it if you are looking for a quiet, low key fishing trip.
Old 06-21-2008, 10:59 PM

Crunchbird is on a distinguished road

I have also fished Pulaski on a Steelhead trip -- didn't land anything but it was some of the most fun I ever had losing fish! I agree that it gets crowded streamside, but I would recommend a float trip with a decent guide. Not too expensive and worth getting off the banks.
Old 07-29-2008, 08:50 PM

Lambster has a spectacular aura aboutLambster has a spectacular aura about

Salmon fishing!!!!!! Dang I've fished the Great Salmon River 6 yrs. in a row and theirs some dang good fishin' for King Salmon, Coho Salmon, Trophy Browns and super nice Steel head....... I've got some real nice photo's that I'll try to get up on the Gallery..... the key thing when going up their you don't go by yourself you go in a team of 4 to 6 anglers and you don't take light equipment.......... We camped at KurksShore Park if I remmber right.... fishin' to me was good around 3rd or 4th week of Sept. or the first week of Oct. Overcast the fishin' is the best or when its pouring down rain......... the key to beating the crowds is get you a spot early with your guys!!!! the best spot I liked was down buy the train tressel.... follow the trail up river from the tressel Bridge and you will see some small ledges where folks stand and fish...... go up about 100ft. and you will see a deep pool with a fast tailout...... thats where we caught all of our Salmon! the trail will be behind you as you walk down to the river.....

Lambster
Old 07-30-2008, 07:07 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

I think he's lookin to go for landlocks.....upstate New York (Adirondacks) region
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..