The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2008, 11:22 AM

MBWCC is a jewel in the roughMBWCC is a jewel in the roughMBWCC is a jewel in the rough
Default Trout above Multnomah Falls (OR)?

I am vacationing with my family in Oregon. Friday my children and I took the trail hike to the overlook above Multnomah Falls. Once we reached the top I couldn't resist hiking the river trail above the falls where I couldn't help wonder if there are any trout in those waters. Anyone have any experience fishing the river above the falls? Anyone ever carry a fly rod up the trail? When we reached the top I was kicking myself that I didn't have an Oregon fishing license yet and that I had not grabbed a fly rod, reel, and a few flies before starting up the trail.

Please forgive my ignorance if the river is closed above the falls--a quick scan of the Oregon fishing regulations book didn't find anything.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:43 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Trout above Multnomah Falls (OR)?

I don't know either, but those falls are gorgeous!!

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 06-27-2008, 12:52 AM

racine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the rough

That would trip me out looking up those falls and seeing a flyline coming and going! Either way it would be an awesome sight just looking out and over towards the columbia. I stayed at a hotel on the river and enjoyed dinner awed by windsurfers flying, jumping and jibing by a late afternoon sun. It's God's country and a wonderful place to live.
Old 06-27-2008, 12:55 AM

racine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the rough

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts his tactics"

Sound advice fishstryker, sometimes lost to youth but, a good way to stay sane...
Old 06-27-2008, 11:25 AM

Cowboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Grew up in Portland and camped in many of the areas above the Columbia Gorge. Several of the streams which terminate in falls have trout in them, but I do not know if Multnomah Falls stream does or not. There is an great hiking trail system between Multnomah and other falls. You cross several streams which have trout or did when I lived there. My attitude has always been "If it looks like trout would or could live there, then fish". Remember that a bad day fishing is better than a great day at the office.