The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2008, 04:00 AM

scottisko0L is on a distinguished road
Default White Fish?!

has anyone caught a white fish?

i was recently fishing up in Bridgeport CA in the East Walker River for some wild bow's with my brother, and we found this nice calm pool. so we wade out a little and start casting in there and all of a sudden i get slammed. i fight the fish and ive never seen this fish before in my life. so im
there i am just staring at this fish clueless and my brother gets slammed and brings in the same looking fish. So he take out his phone and take a picture of it and we go find my grandpa and ask. hes says its a white fish, never heard of them. so we go back to that spot and keep fishing and i get slammed by another. turns out this pool has 3965437569345656347 of them haha. we caught over 100 white fish that day haha.

these fish are weird. once their heads come outa the water they just lay here and dont even move. it makes it a hell of alot easier to take that hook out lol.

and they look exactly like rainbows under water. tricked me a few times.

Catch-N-Release Wild Trout ZEROlimit
Old 06-25-2008, 06:28 AM
dooolan is on a distinguished road
Default Re: White Fish?!

That is weird stuff. I have fished the East Walker and West Walker Rivers numerous times along with several other Eastern Sierra rivers and never have hooked one. Only have caught Rainbows, Golden, and Browns. I have caught many a whitefish in Eastern Oregon and Idaho (they are typically called the Rocky Mountain Whitefish).... They have small mouths, lots of scales that have to be removed if you want to eat them, and run in the 12" to 14" range. They put up a decent fight and typically hide under submerged logs... They are not native to the Sierras if my memory is correct...
Old 06-25-2008, 11:56 AM

Supplicate is on a distinguished road

Used to catch whitefish all the time on my grandparents farm up in the Bitteroot Valley in Montana. The bigger ones were usually caught in the irrigation ditches rather then the river, though there were a few huge ones in the swimming pond that had been dug just west of the bridge.

First one I ever caught was rather amusing, I couldn't have been much past 6 or 7 years old and not paying much attention to my lure which was just kind of floating on top of the water in the ditch. Next thing I know a fish grabed ahold of it and started running, the drag on my spinner reel was just screaming. Finally brought it in and it couldn't have been too big, but of course, being young, it was the biggest fish ever caught in that ditch.
Old 06-25-2008, 12:01 PM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold

Whitefish are somewhat prevelant in the Sierras. I just hooked a good sized one on the Truckee last Thurs. It's not too uncommon. I've heard of some real big one coming out of the East Walker.
Old 06-25-2008, 01:00 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

A couple weeks ago while Fysh, Davo and I were fishing the Green River below Warren Bridge, we found a pool where fish were rising. Fysh ended up catching 4-5 and they were all white fish. He probably could have caught several more from that same pool. They were actively feeding on top.

Larry
Old 06-25-2008, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dooolan View Post
That is weird stuff. I have fished the East Walker and West Walker Rivers numerous times along with several other Eastern Sierra rivers and never have hooked one. Only have caught Rainbows, Golden, and Browns. I have caught many a whitefish in Eastern Oregon and Idaho (they are typically called the Rocky Mountain Whitefish).... They have small mouths, lots of scales that have to be removed if you want to eat them, and run in the 12" to 14" range. They put up a decent fight and typically hide under submerged logs... They are not native to the Sierras if my memory is correct...

on the west walker you know "the hole" right? where the water comes in from the lake. well there is a pool about 50 feet from the hole next time u fish it u should stop there its fun. just throw on a little bead head or an odd colored wet fly cast it out count 3 seconds and strip and keep doing that. trust me lol

Old 06-25-2008, 03:57 PM

tlcrep will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottisko0L View Post
has anyone caught a white fish?

i was recently fishing up in Bridgeport CA in the East Walker River for some wild bow's with my brother, and we found this nice calm pool. so we wade out a little and start casting in there and all of a sudden i get slammed. i fight the fish and ive never seen this fish before in my life. so im
there i am just staring at this fish clueless and my brother gets slammed and brings in the same looking fish. So he take out his phone and take a picture of it and we go find my grandpa and ask. hes says its a white fish, never heard of them. so we go back to that spot and keep fishing and i get slammed by another. turns out this pool has 3965437569345656347 of them haha. we caught over 100 white fish that day haha.

these fish are weird. once their heads come outa the water they just lay here and dont even move. it makes it a hell of alot easier to take that hook out lol.

and they look exactly like rainbows under water. tricked me a few times.
I caught a whitefish that would of been a really good sized rainbow it it were a rainbow on the truckee. No, make that the LIttle Trukee.

PS: Dont think their are any golden trout on the truckee river, it is too low (by about 3 to 4 thousand feet). Did your "golden" have a suction cup for a mouth? That would explain alot.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlcrep View Post
I caught a whitefish that would of been a really good sized rainbow it it were a rainbow on the truckee. No, make that the LIttle Trukee.

PS: Dont think their are any golden trout on the truckee river, it is too low (by about 3 to 4 thousand feet). Did your "golden" have a suction cup for a mouth? That would explain alot.

hahahahahahahahaa

Old 06-25-2008, 09:08 PM

Location: Bozeman, MT and Sheridan, WY but now Houston, Texas
MTskibum has a spectacular aura aboutMTskibum has a spectacular aura about

My little brother caught a whitefish that went 21.25" in wyoming a couple years ago, we kept it and took tons of pictures of it, since he was 12 at the time, and we knew it was going to be close to the state record. However it fell 3/4 of an inch short.

Whitefish show the quality of the river here in wyoming and montana, the higher the quality of river the more whitefish there are. They certainly dont compete with trout.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:17 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I might be weird, but I target them at Hebgen, Love them. I float at the opening of the Madison in about 3 to 4 ft of water for them and they are HUGE!
We also have them here in the Weber river. I am all about C&R (because my hubby won't let me cook one in the house or on his BBQ, so what's a girl to do, but they are a blast to catch. I have been told, cook them a special way they are quite tasty, but I can't eat Carp either....YUK!