The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2008, 06:39 AM

sylvan is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Fly fishing western MD

I just wanted to share my experience fishing in western MD. What a blast. I started off stayng with Don and Karen at Streams and Dreams B&B
( http://www.streams-and-dreams.net/). What a great way to get acclimated. They are next to the Youghiogheny River, just a few miles from McHenry, MD by Deep Creek Lake. They are great hosts and both are just terrific fly fishers and love to share the art of fly fishing. These are real people. NO stuffy attitudes. NO braggarts. Gees, who needs that?!

My wife and I traveled there for a family reunion. Arrived a couple days early. Fished the Yock, the Savage and the Casselman throughout the week. All produced well and the scenery was just superb. Met nice folks who were willing the share. Good vibes. Because of rain, wasn't sure what would happen, but the rain wasn't a problem and the fish were active throughout. Used nymphs and wet flies with 3 wt and 4 wt rods. Planned to meet an old friend from Frederick on the North Branch of the Potomac but thunderboomers today and 80% chance of rain keeping us off the river for an all day fish float. Next time. Good fishing, good people and good times. I'm from Oregon and sure we have terrific fishing back there, but I found a sweet spot to return to. Still more to explore in western MD.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:35 AM

fish4peace is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Fly fishing western MD

I recommend a return trip to the N. branch. it doesnt get as much hype as savage but the fishing is superb.
Old 07-14-2008, 02:33 PM

RyanSheehan is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Fly fishing western MD

I agree the North Branch is my favorite of the fourm, its also the biggest water. You might want to take a five weight, there are some pigs in there.