The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2010, 07:12 PM

twfitw is a jewel in the roughtwfitw is a jewel in the roughtwfitw is a jewel in the roughtwfitw is a jewel in the rough
Default I just HAD to go fishing!

Well as the title of this thread indicates I HAD to go fishing. It has been too long... My wife and I have just bought our first house and with all the moving, yard work, painting, plumbing and everything else that has drained our wallets and bank accounts I have been lacking the time and funding for a fishing trip. And as it happens if I don't go fishing then my fingers start curling in funny ways, and I get a wierd twitch in my left eye, and I find myself pacing relentlessly until my wife says, "GO!"

So with our budget I went... 5 miles down the road. Pulled over on the side of the road, dragged my tube out, hopped a fence and went off to a dugout owned by a family member...

Click the image to open in full size.

Third cast in saw a lovely 18" rainbow run rings around me before coming to net.

I have to say that at times I felt my 3wt was maybe not enough for these tough fighting fish.

Biggest was 19.5"

I spent more time fisghting fish than actually trying to convince them to take a fly.

2 1/2 hours later I had netted 23 rainbows btw 13"&19.5" with most averaging around 16"... Not a bad way to get those fingers straightened out

Old 09-23-2010, 07:35 PM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: I just HAD to go fishing!

Congrats, those are some beautiful fish.

It's been a while for fishing for me, so I know exactly what you mean by the twitch.
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog
Old 09-23-2010, 08:06 PM

sxm has a spectacular aura aboutsxm has a spectacular aura about

I too had to go fishing the other day. Got a nice sun tan.

Beautiful fish you got there.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:09 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like you found a great spot to ease the itch! Congrats on the gorgeous trout!

Larry
Old 09-24-2010, 06:44 AM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma

Very nice fish! A 3 weight was perfect for them. ANd for you Ant, I spoke to one of those monster steelie's in the nursery waters. Told it you were new to her domain. Funny, she got an evil grin on her face and swam away in small circles . Kinda like a small shark corraling its prey. hehehehehe
Old 09-25-2010, 11:14 PM

twfitw is a jewel in the roughtwfitw is a jewel in the roughtwfitw is a jewel in the roughtwfitw is a jewel in the rough

So I had to go again... and this time I had some company... SSJCHAR and his brother came with to "inspect" these dugouts...

Well, we got to the water and it was mere moments before I got the first fish...
We fished for a while, but I think three of us on a small piece of water kinda maybe freaked out my little finned friends... I did manage to boat 4 and SSJCHAR got 1...

After a while I figured it was time these guys got to experience a step up to the ultimate dugout... So we packed up and moved to the one I was at a couple days ago... SSJ's brother had to leave so he managed to make a couple casts from shore before taking off, while SSJ and I really began to tie into some nice fish!
And then the funniest thing that I have experienced in a long time happened... SSJ hooked into and caught a PB 18" rainbow, and while readying himself for a photo his fly slipped back into the water and another 18"er hit it!
I snapped a couple pics of him struggling with one in the net and one on the line until I kicked over and helped him out by netting the other one...
So not just a PB, but and awesome double!
From then on we enjoyed some gorgeous skies, outsanding fishing until it was dark... Between us we caught more than 30 fish in only a couple hours and they all fought hard! Enjoy some of these shots...
Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.
Old 09-26-2010, 08:10 AM

creeker is a glorious beacon of lightcreeker is a glorious beacon of lightcreeker is a glorious beacon of lightcreeker is a glorious beacon of lightcreeker is a glorious beacon of light

"I spent more time fighting fish than actually trying to convince them to take a fly."

Man, I wish I had that issue! Those were some very healthy looking fish and I bet that 3wt was just perfect. Being from the left coast, when you say 'dug out' is that referring to a farm or stock pond? Growing up in the south, we called them pools. Out here I hear them called farm ponds or holding ponds.
Old 09-26-2010, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeker View Post
"I spent more time fighting fish than actually trying to convince them to take a fly."

Man, I wish I had that issue! Those were some very healthy looking fish and I bet that 3wt was just perfect. Being from the left coast, when you say 'dug out' is that referring to a farm or stock pond? Growing up in the south, we called them pools. Out here I hear them called farm ponds or holding ponds.
Yeah a dugout is a farm stocked pond... The only problem with my 3wt is that it is a 7'6" rod and I could use the extra leverage when landing the fish... however I did take my 9' 5wt... but for some reason it stayed in the truck

When SSJ got there he thought I was kidding about fighting fish more than luring them... he soon realised why that was the case
Old 09-26-2010, 11:42 AM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by okuma View Post
Very nice fish! A 3 weight was perfect for them. ANd for you Ant, I spoke to one of those monster steelie's in the nursery waters. Told it you were new to her domain. Funny, she got an evil grin on her face and swam away in small circles . Kinda like a small shark corraling its prey. hehehehehe
Thanks, now I'm going to get jumped as soon as I step out of the car.
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog
Old 09-26-2010, 07:07 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Those are indeed some beautiful fish and wonderful photos! To think that you were picking them up with a 3wt, wow!

I'm feeling the need to get out on the water again soon also but for now am living vicarously through posts like yours lol. Thanks for the write up.