The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2008, 09:58 AM

frtouvre is on a distinguished road
Default saint croix avid

Hello i am very appy to be with you, I am french fly fisher has the fly it dry and nymph saw. My English is not tres check but I shall make efforts. I shall want to have notices on my saint croix avid 9 feet line 4 and with which line to use him(it) to have the best return thank you very much
Old 09-13-2008, 10:43 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: saint croix avid

Hi frtouvre,

Welcome to the forum. We have many members from over seas. Your English is good enough so don't worry about posting.

The Avid is slow to medium action so don't use a Rio Grand or a Scientific Anglers GPX. These lines are 1/2 weight heavier and you don't need that with an Avid.

Since you want to dry fly and nymph fish I think the RIO Gold would be a good choice. It would be a good line for roll casting. The Gold probably works better on a little faster rod than the Avid. The Rio Selective Trout may be the best choice for the Avid if you fish Dry Flies the most.

The SA XPS is a line similar to the Rio Selective Trout line. Both are limp lines with little memory and medium sized heads. The SA Trout has a little longer head than the XPS.

Any of these four lines would work on your AVID. If I fished nymphs very much I would go with the RIO Gold. A second choice would be the SA Trout line. If I fished dry fly a lot and only occasionally nymph fished I think the RIO Selective Trout or the SA XPS.

We have many members who fish the St Croix Avid and I hope they will give their opinion.

Frank

RIO GoldClick the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.

Sage Mastery XPS

Sage Mastery Trout
Old 09-14-2008, 07:24 AM

mtnman2888 is on a distinguished road

I have fished with an avid once and i thought it performed very nicely with a weight forward line on it. I also know people who have it and they are all very pleased. I've heard good things about st croix all around.

www.backpackingangler.com
Old 09-14-2008, 10:40 AM

wtex50 will become famous soon enoughwtex50 will become famous soon enough

I agree with Frank - the Rio Selective Trout II is perfect for the Avids action. I don't agree that it is slow to medium action though - It is more true medium to slightly toward med-fast. I use this line on my Avid...In fact, I use a WF5F on my 4 wt because I use it on small streams that tend to be overgrown and the 5 wt improves roll casting.
Old 09-15-2008, 07:22 AM

frtouvre is on a distinguished road

Thank you for your reply frank , you think if i understand, used line 5 for my avid line4.
If y fished nymph rio gold wf 5f
If y fished dry fly rio selective trout wf4 or dt5
Thanks frank
Old 09-15-2008, 09:16 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi frtouvre,

I may have confused you with the line diagram. That is just representative of the tapers on the lines shown. It just happens to be a 5wt. So the diagrams are not the weight of line that I was recommending. You want a 4wt line for your 4wt Avid. Don't over line with a 5wt.

I think you would be happy with the Rio Gold 4wt line if you fish nymphs and dry flies. If you fish dry flies the most I would get the RIO Selective Trout II in a 4wt.

I prefer a weight forward fly line but if you do a lot of roll casting then a double taper would be a good choice.
Old 09-16-2008, 01:16 PM

flyflingerandy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hi frtouvre,

I may have confused you with the line diagram. That is just representative of the tapers on the lines shown. It just happens to be a 5wt. So the diagrams are not the weight of line that I was recommending. You want a 4wt line for your 4wt Avid. Don't over line with a 5wt.

I think you would be happy with the Rio Gold 4wt line if you fish nymphs and dry flies. If you fish dry flies the most I would get the RIO Selective Trout II in a 4wt.

I prefer a weight forward fly line but if you do a lot of roll casting then a double taper would be a good choice.
Well Frank, to be technical here, St. Croix rods, like most including TFO, Sage, Redington, Scott, etc, are rated for a DT line, not weight forward. Thus, the 4wt, would really love a WF5F line, albeit not a GPX or Rio Grand. I would recommend the Scientific Anglers Trout WF5F line for that rod if you want a WF-F line on it.

The reason I bring this up is I had a 9' 5wt Avid and did not like it one bit with a WF5F line. I tried a WF6F on it and it came to life.
Old 09-16-2008, 01:33 PM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

Hmmm, hadn't considered that rod's are rated for DT. I wonder what my St. Croix Avid 4wt would do with the 5wt line I have. I think it's a Cortland 444 Clear water. Would be interesting to try.
Old 09-16-2008, 01:38 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I had a St. Croix Avid (IPC model), 9' 5wt. It cast fine with a Cortland 444
WF, but did quite well with a 4wt line as well. With a 5wt line, it was
med-fast, and just a bit faster with a 4wt. The pre-IPC models may have
been slower.....
Old 09-16-2008, 02:27 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyflingerandy View Post
Well Frank, to be technical here, St. Croix rods, like most including TFO, Sage, Redington, Scott, etc, are rated for a DT line, not weight forward.
This is something I had not ever heard before.
The use of double taper lines is not as popular as it once was and I would tend to think all rods not labeled for two lines (as a 3/4 or a 5/6) call for the more common weight forward line.

I'm someone who tends to overline all my med-fast and fast action rods
Slow action rods I very often underline.
With a true medium action rod, the line called for is probably right on, and in a weight forward too, I'd think

I have two St Croix rods, neither of which is an Avid
My Legend 10wt. (no ultra, no superduper ) is fast enough that I overline it with 12wt lines.