The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2010, 02:53 PM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan
Default 1st King on a fly...

A good fishing friend invited me along on a trip to the Pere Marquette here in MI. Iv'e never fished for Kings with a flyrod, have fished for them at the pier heads tossing spoons and trolled for them on the Big Lakes. We were fishing the flies only reach of the PM, near the Green Cabin Access; we had to hike quite aways upriver to get away from the crowds. Long story short, I was able to hook and land my first Lake Michigan King Salmon on my 8 wt.

Click the image to open in full size.

I ended my first day with 3 fish on and landed 2. My second day was a repeat of the first. Kings put up an awesome fight, and getting one landed on a flyrod is tough...

Dan
Old 10-11-2010, 02:55 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 1st King on a fly...

Dan: Congrats on the fine looking King! You're right, the Kings will put up on heck of a fight on a fly rod!

Larry
Old 10-11-2010, 03:02 PM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

Look at that bad boy! Congrats!
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog
Old 10-11-2010, 03:09 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

For a first attempt it was brilliant Dan
Old 10-11-2010, 07:28 PM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

Congrats! I landed my first two Kings this past Saturday fishing the Lake Michigan tribs on the Western Side in Wisconsin. I have had a number of them on over the past couple of weeks - not many - and lost them all. I managed to land two out of three on Saturday and I have to tell you I was more than pumped! The first one was definitely an older fish - big but didn't smoke the reel like I'd hoped and like the one's that I had lost in the past few weeks. But that second one Yea baby!!!

What a blast. Also on my new eight weight.

Can't wait for some rain here. We need it so bad to get these rivers running.

Cheers and congrats!

Mike.
Old 10-11-2010, 07:33 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Nice fish, Dan! Congratulations on the fishing and on what sounds like a fun trip.

Pocono
Old 10-11-2010, 08:39 PM

cattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to all

Great photos Dan, Congratulations! I hope to break in my new 9wt in a couple of weeks. Hopefully Ill have pictures that are as successful.

It's not what I catch when I'm fishing, it's what I lose that matters to me...
----------------------------------------
Good decisions come from experience...Experience comes from bad decisions...
Old 10-11-2010, 09:37 PM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma

Nice looking fish Dan. Reminds me of sammie fishing on the Salmon River. and Catt....don't say break. had that happen on a muskie. really swelled my thumb
Old 10-11-2010, 09:44 PM

cattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to all

Ooh, okay yeah I get your drift........

It's not what I catch when I'm fishing, it's what I lose that matters to me...
----------------------------------------
Good decisions come from experience...Experience comes from bad decisions...
Old 10-11-2010, 10:44 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats, Dan. They are strong fish. How are the legs feeling? Did you have to chase your fish down?