The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2010, 06:00 PM

Lambster has a spectacular aura aboutLambster has a spectacular aura about
Thumbs up Brwon Trout caught in Brook trout waters

Each year around Oct. I do my normal fishing trip up in the upper N.Georgia Mountains looking to catch the jewl of the upper Georgia Moutains the Eastern Brook trout. Now its a pretty good walk and the trail was in pretty bad shape with alot of fallen tree's and the trail pretty well washed away from the heavy spring rains. I'd walked in and climbed alot getting to some of the better water which was about 5 mile hike. I tied on a #16 BWO and landed 1 Brown and two Brookies which made my day, I just had to go a few more miles in but it was worth the trip! Each time I go up farther I would make a rock pile to remind me where I stopped each time I done my trip. Now this section I was fishing was in heavy foliage but had just enough room for a short cast which I hooked a 17 inch 2lb. Brown in which shouldn't have been up that far........ now I just can't figure out how this Brown got up three water falls that are 40ft.......! I'd just changed flie tying on a #16 Tan Caddis which the Brown wacked as it hit on the first cast on the water. Best day up in the Mountains! Just can't figure out how the big Brown got up that high!
Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by mcnerney; 10-12-2010 at 08:16 PM.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:18 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brwon Trout caught in Brook trout waters

Lambster: Looks like you had a good trip up to the N. Georgia Mtns! Congrats! That certainly seems strange to find a Brown that far upstream.

Larry
Old 10-12-2010, 08:32 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Lambster,

I reread your post to be sure that you said 40' waterfall. I would have to say that someone put that brown up there. When fishing a population of brook trout that are genetically specific because of a natural geologic structure like a waterfall that brown trout is actually an invasive specie and should be removed. Browns are more aggressive than brook trout and use the same areas and the same season for spawning. These two facts spell trouble for any resident brook trout population when Salmo Trutta is introduced to the range of the brookie.

Although catching a large brown in a small brook is exciting when upon examining the probable cause for its presence the brown trout does not belong there. I am speaking from an ecological viewpoint and hope you understand that I do not mean to rain on your parade. I grew up in North Central Pennsylvania and know all too well how the brown can eventually relagate the once native & dominate species to only a head waters existence. This will result in fewer and smaller brook trout but more and larger browns. It is a matter of conscience but you may want to harvest browns in the future and report anyone who you find doing their own privet stocking program.

Just call me the bearer of doom & gloom,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-13-2010, 08:25 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

I agree with Ard and would have kept the browns. Waters clean enough to be capable of supporting brookies are shrinking daily.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 10-14-2010, 03:30 AM

Lambster has a spectacular aura aboutLambster has a spectacular aura about

Next time I venture back up I'll take a floating net box and keep the Brown and take it back down the stream and put him where he belongs! Now this was the first time I got back to back Browns in this area...... these falls are 40 ft. high! I just thought it was strange to find that size fish up that far, wished the Brookies would get that size! Tight Lines!
Old 10-14-2010, 12:19 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Just be careful not to run into a F&G officer when you do it. The way things go, the guy who is trying to set things strait will be the guy who gets caught moving live fish. Someone put those browns up there, if you find them in number and ranging from little to big, it's way too late to save the brookies from takeover. As a precaution why not call DCNR and find out if the State put those browns up there?

I used to fish in Cohutta, Ravens Cliff's, and Tear Britches wilderness areas when I lived in Georgia. Rainbow trout were resident in some streams because of introduction made by the State during the last century but have been introduced / relocated from the West since as early as the late 1800's. They are pretty common up there. The browns have been around a long time too but when I lived in GA. 1990 - 1992 they were not to be found in the high country.

I enjoyed finding Red Eye some of them pretty good size that would take dry flies and wets up in those creeks too.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-14-2010, 02:53 PM

madjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud of
Send a message via Skype™ to madjoni

This waterfall on photo is not to big for brown trout to jump up
Old 10-14-2010, 08:55 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

That brown should be killed, kleened, and et... if it's legal. Not moved, which is probably illegal. milt.
Old 10-15-2010, 03:55 AM

madjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud of
Send a message via Skype™ to madjoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by milt spawn View Post
That brown should be killed, kleened, and et... if it's legal. Not moved, which is probably illegal. milt.
That want help much...when browns got there nothing will get them out....they are very very adaptable species
Old 10-15-2010, 10:15 PM

Cool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura aboutCool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura aboutCool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura about

I wonder what the Brown thinks about all of this? Suprises like this are one of the biggest things that keep me comming back. I was fishing a very un-know, un-accesable, stream in Michigans upper penensula. I was absolutly nailing the brookies when out of the blue, i caught a damn perch! This stream had no lake conection. Who cares...chalk it up to life and enjoy the catch. Ive heard its like a box of chocolates!