The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2010, 01:02 PM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold
Default My Skunking is over!

After having a really productive spring and summer, my luck had sort of fizzled out the past month or two.

But with one glass rod that I already had and another one on the way from ebay, I bought an a new Medalist 1492 because I heard that a 6-7 wt line will really give a glass rod it's feel.

And like a kid with a dollar in his pocket, I was twitching like a goat with an itch to get out and use it.

So I set out today with the new reel, the old rod, and two kids in tow.

By the time we got to the spot, the breeze had picked up a bit. When I went to open the car door I had to place my foot on the ground and lean against the door to get it open all the way. A little breezy.

We walk down to the pool beneath the dam and I set up. I handed my camera to my 10 year old stepdaughter and told her to keep an eye on the 3 year old. They set off to take some pics and I go down to the pool to fish.

Click the image to open in full size.

Do to the stiff breeze I go to work out my double haul quite a bit. I've never been able to manage a decent double haul, but today the chips seemed to fall in my favor.

I was fishing one of my Black Bertha's; mainly because it was one of two weighted flies in my box and I forgot my shot at home. The water was murky, so the dark color fly came out.

I was casting for about 20 minutes when I looked back and both the girls looked like the were freezing to death. Coats pulled over there heads and everything. Now I've seen these kids try to run out in the middle of winter with no jackets on, so I thought that the odds of survival were in their favor, but I still told myself a few more cast and that was it.

I cast and started to strip the line back in when I see a flash just behind my fly. I do another strip and there is that tell-tale weight on the end of the line.

"Bring the camera," I yelled up to my step daughter and I reel frantically.

Soon after I landed her and tried to place it next to my rod for a measurement reference. It hopped just before I snapped the pic, but you get the idea.

Well, at least my skunk streak is over.
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog
Old 10-16-2010, 02:25 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: My Skunking is over!

I hear you Anthony,

Sometimes the magic wears off and anything will help to reassure you that you have not really been cursed.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-16-2010, 02:30 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Funny report Thonyhope you had your net to pull out this beast
Old 10-16-2010, 04:25 PM

cattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to all

Great post Anthony. BTW, thanks for the arrow.....

It's not what I catch when I'm fishing, it's what I lose that matters to me...
----------------------------------------
Good decisions come from experience...Experience comes from bad decisions...
Old 10-16-2010, 05:44 PM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

Thanks guys.

I was going to use the net JB, but it is only so strong....
Old 10-16-2010, 07:08 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Anthony,

For fish that size I don't use a net, it may spook them. You get as far from the edge of the water as you can and then pump & reel until you drag them unto dry ground, then run like a mad man and grab them before they flop back into the river.

Hope that helps,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-17-2010, 07:44 AM

Thanks Ard, I heard that they did that will steelies when they don't have a net. I wasn't sure it it would work with a fish with such a size as this.
Old 10-17-2010, 07:52 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Ant,

It is a good thing that you added that red arrow. I missed the fish the first time I looked at the photo.

Frank
Old 10-17-2010, 09:14 AM

twfitw is a jewel in the roughtwfitw is a jewel in the roughtwfitw is a jewel in the roughtwfitw is a jewel in the rough

Nice to end the skunk! That is a fish I am sure you will remember for many years to come (thanks to the arrow!)
Old 10-17-2010, 09:58 AM

He does have some good camo-coloring on him....(and looking at the pic without the arrow, it takes me a few seconds to find him, and I know he's there.)