The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2008, 06:06 PM

morphius will become famous soon enough
Default Landing the Beast

I need some help again. My dad and i went out today and i decided to try fishing with a green wooly bugger fly(small size) and i hooked into a BEAST of a fish, got me down into my backing. I lost him in the rocks, and lost everything which included weights, i was ticked. How do reel in this fish? I need pointers.
Old 11-02-2008, 07:14 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly
Default Re: Landing the Beast

well if you are wading I would try to follow the fish up or downstream if possible. also I would keep as much fly line off the water as you can and basically don't horse the fish around to much. let the drag do the work. try to turn him your way and then reel him in some. sometimes you got to get them tired out some. looks like you had a monster of a fish on. I never been to my backing before. sometimes ya win some and sometimes ya lose some I guess? I have lost big fish myself. its sucks...

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 11-03-2008, 07:29 AM

morphius will become famous soon enough

That is the thing though, i had about 200 yrds to go and that was it. Whaty do u do then?
Old 11-03-2008, 09:37 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by morphius View Post
That is the thing though, i had about 200 yrds to go and that was it. Whaty do u do then?
When you have that much line out, the only thing you can do is hope for the best.
What you need to do is not get into that situation in the first place.
The more line you have out, the more 'drag' there is on the line and the more pressure you have on the tippet.
In a best case scenario, you want the fish to be able to run to tier itself out against a light drag.
In reality, you need to put enough pressure on the fish so that you don't have the problem of having too much line out and getting yourself into a jam.
It takes a good bit of experience to know just how much pressure to exert.
Hopefully you'll have plenty of chances to learn

Last year I had a fish 'spool' me before I ever knew what was happening.
Never even saw it.
Sometimes you just loose
Old 11-03-2008, 09:51 AM

Snaggy is on a distinguished road

Well, at least you had some exitement there! I'm losing fish like crazy of late.

The only time I've seen a monster fish take all the line is if it's hooked on the side of it's mouth or gill or it's snagged in the tail. It's impossible to turn them and they'll just run and run. Maybe not enough drag? I agree with McFly and trying to run after it all you can. I fought a 36" male (who I call "The Freight Train") last spring and I never let him get to my backing. I was lucky enough to be in a large shallow area of the river so I ran all over the place keeping him near me and pooping him out. It felt like an eternity getting him in and man, we were both spent.

Two things I can tell you:
Never let the rod point anywhere near the fish. Fight like your creating a rainbow with your rod, working them left right left right and so on.

If you think the fish is running away too easily SLOWLY and CAUTIOUSLY tighten up your drag a teeny bit so he's gotta work at it or create drag by holding your line between your thumb and index finger or palming the reel (this takes a bit of tact and you have to be careful).
Old 11-03-2008, 10:49 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Never let the rod point anywhere near the fish. Fight like your creating a rainbow with your rod, .
I have to disagree with this statement
If you're trying to protect a light tippet, then you're going to need to do that.
Otherwise, the lower you keep your rod tip, and the more you 'point' it towards the fish, the more pounds of pressure you are using, and therefore the faster you will tier the fish out and be able to land it.

I practice this with my cats all the time.
I use a big bushy hookless 'bob' type fly and cast it out.
A couple of strips and the cats are all over it.
Then I try to 'land' them
The greater the arc in the rod, the more advantage the cat has.
The only way I ever come close to 'landing' one is when the rod is nearly parallel to the ground
Try it
You'll quickly see what I mean.
If you don't have cats, try tying your tippet to a foot long chunk of 2X4 and try to 'land' that.
It's impossible with a 'rainbow' arc in your rod

BTW
The cat fishing game works with squirrels too
Use a peanut
Lots of fun
Old 11-03-2008, 11:33 AM

Snaggy is on a distinguished road

Sorry, I didn't mean keeping the rod bent like that. I meant if there was a rainbow arking over you from your direct left to your direct right to try to keep your fighting position there. It works for me and of course you'll be all over the place fighting the giants anyways. I just know from experience if you get to close to straight and the fish decides to dart or jump...SNAP! I like the cat idea. I have no cats but I do have three boys so maybe I'll tie on some Halloween candy and try to land a 25 pounder!

<((((~{
Old 11-03-2008, 11:57 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
BTW
The cat fishing game works with squirrels too
Use a peanut
Lots of fun
That is exceedingly funny. I HAVE to try that.

I swear to you, I have to have a pic of me "landing" a squirrel. What do you do when that little ******* goes for "deep water" errr, a tree?
Old 11-03-2008, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by axle27 View Post
What do you do when that little ******* goes for "deep water" errr, a tree?
That's when you practice how to..... "Land the Beast"

Old 11-03-2008, 07:42 PM

pneumatic is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by morphius View Post
How do reel in this fish? I need pointers.
Where were you fishing and what gear were you using (what weight rod and tippet)?

If you were using a 3wt in steelhead water, then that is your problem. You simply won't land steelhead on a 3wt without a miracle (even a 5wt is tough). Heck, it is difficult to land even the smallest of squirrels on a 3wt.

If you have more info, then we'll have more answers.