The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2008, 03:20 AM

dorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nice
Default Let me tell you about my Thingy-ma-bobber

In my short time (2 years) of fly fishing I have never found an indicator system that I was comfortable with using! I have tried many as there are many on the market and each has had some downfall that make me eventually just nymph without an indicator......until now!

I found an indicator called the Thingy-ma-bobber that is just a small (3 sizes) soft plastic bubble with an eyelet attached. They are pliable, yet durable enough that I don't think they will pop, come in different colors, are VERY bouyant, and won't lose that bouyancy. (sp?)

Anyway, just wanted to let everyone know. What type of indicators do you all prefer when you are nymphing and why?
Old 11-05-2008, 11:31 AM

Snaggy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Let me tell you about my Thingy-ma-bobber

Thill. Period.
I did the same thing trying all the different sticky ones, the rubber band ones, the frog hair types, the styrofoam and yarn ones. I love the egg shaped Thill. It has a little wooden pick you stick in when you want to keep it where it is on the leader. I've had no trouble with it. All the rest seem to be a pain in the @ss! Some fly off on my back cast, some are a pain when the temps are below freezing and the sticky ones are just a mess. You can't reposition them and they leave behind a nasty residue on the leader. I have no idea what a Thingy-ma-bobber is but I'll look it up.

Snaggy
<((((~{
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thill indicator.jpg (34.5 KB, 180 views)
Old 11-05-2008, 12:08 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Snaggy,

Here is what the Thingamabobber indicator looks like. They are easy to attach and adjust. Comes in three sizes.

Frank

Thingamabobber Strike Indicator (Cabela's)
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 11-05-2008, 12:24 PM

Snaggy is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the pic. I couldn't find it online.

<((((~{
Old 11-05-2008, 02:00 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Dorian

I used to use primarily yarn indicators, but switched to the Thingamabobber this last spring as it seems to have a lot less wind resistance (and I need all the help I can in this Wyoming wind).

Larry
Old 11-05-2008, 03:21 PM

Greenwood will become famous soon enoughGreenwood will become famous soon enough

I just picked up some 'Thingamabobbers' myself ......at an Orvis shop I believe. I like them a lot and that's a good thing. I've always dreaded nymphing due to the aggravation of strike indicators and split shot. These 'things' make the former easier to deal with. Once I get over the mental block of fly fishing with lead attached to my tippet, I'll be set! Though I'll always drift and swing a soft-hackle as first choice!
Old 11-05-2008, 08:51 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Boy am I glad Dorian did not post any pics of his "Thingamabobber"!!!, this thread would have needed some serious editing/censorship. lol

My wife has started using them, I'm still stuck on the ol'yarn indicator.

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."

Old 11-05-2008, 10:05 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly

how do you put the thingamabobber on your line. i can only think to run the line through it and then through it once again. but if did it that way wouldn't the bobber kink up your tippet? just curious as to how that all works? I just use the ones that have a toothpick and also the football shapped ones with the rubber in middle and then I use these drift indicators with a lil sleeve you slide over your line onto a stick and those tellsyou if your drift is natural.

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 11-05-2008, 11:29 PM

FlyRichardFly will become famous soon enoughFlyRichardFly will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
My wife has started using them, I'm still stuck on the ol'yarn indicator.
I simply hate to use a indicator!!! Only yarn for this guy.... and that's rare!

Nobody needs a indicator!! Just put the proper weight on your fly and catch a lot of fish.

A indicator should be a big dry fly!!!! IMHO

"People are crazy, times are strange"
"I'm locked in tight, I'm out of range"
"I used to care, but things have changed"
- Dylan
Old 11-05-2008, 11:37 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeMcFly View Post
how do you put the thingamabobber on your line. i can only think to run the line through it and then through it once again. but if did it that way wouldn't the bobber kink up your tippet? just curious as to how that all works? I just use the ones that have a toothpick and also the football shapped ones with the rubber in middle and then I use these drift indicators with a lil sleeve you slide over your line onto a stick and those tellsyou if your drift is natural.

Hi McFly,
All you need to do is find the spot where you want your indicator to be, fold your leader, insert thrue the hole, pull loop over the top of the indicator and snug it up.
It will kink your leader a bit, but all you need to do is use the warmth of your hand to straighten back up.

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."