The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2008, 06:49 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly
Default 2 more steel for me!

went to the v today and water was still low and clear. I tried out that white bunny leech and actually had a nice size bass grab it but when it jumped out of the water it threw the hook. I fished with it some more and got nothing. I then switched to a black bunny leech and got nothing. I tried a black peacock bodied bugger but ended up losing it but I am glad I lost it because after that I tied on my steelhead clouser I tied up and I was casting to the deep holes and a huge steelie grabbed my clouser. an hour later I got another steel in just about the same spot that was of nice size also! both put up good fights. heres a few pix! I had fun. hopefully the rain will bring in more steel.
Click the image to open in full size.

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 11-06-2008, 08:26 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: 2 more steel for me!

guys on another forum say the bottom fish looks more like a coho salmon to them than a steel. they say theres spots on only the top of the tail and not the whole thing like a steelie? kinda seemed and acted like a steelie to me just wasn't so pink and olive

Old 11-06-2008, 10:11 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

McFly

Wow, you have landed two very nice fish, way to go. I'm not sure if that second fish is a steelie? Maybe someone more knowledgeable will jump in here. Anyway, congrats on the fish!

Larry
Old 11-06-2008, 10:20 PM

thanks mcnerney! caught um on those steelhead colored clousers I made in the share pattern section! ya I been searching the net for info on chinook and it does have some characteristics and they say that lake erie used to be stocked with um and people have repoted catching um around here but not very often. I wish I looked inside its mouth cause they say they have a black mouth and white gums but I just popped the hook and set it on its way. I just figured it was a hen steelie.

Old 11-06-2008, 10:41 PM

FlyRichardFly will become famous soon enoughFlyRichardFly will become famous soon enough

Way to go, McFly!
I thought that people only snagged the steel, but you keep getting them on a fly!
This is wonderful!! You've got my faith back with fly fishing.

Wonderful pix

"People are crazy, times are strange"
"I'm locked in tight, I'm out of range"
"I used to care, but things have changed"
- Dylan
Old 11-06-2008, 10:57 PM

I went my 1st time ever steelheading with a spin cast and a mepps spinner. I hooked 1 fish but felt like I would just about snag um on accident trying to get a strike. I seen a guy with a fly rod hook 3 fish in 15 minutes on a nymph and I went home that day and got started fly fishing! I have never looked back since! today I knew the steel were in that hole cause I caught one there a few days ago but I didn't see these ones. I just casted to the deep hole and swung the clousers watching my fly line tip for the strikes. works just like a indicator!

Old 11-07-2008, 12:58 AM

I got a couple guys on yet another forum saying it might be a coho. i am starting to really wonder now! if so this is a rare catch around here. cohos used to be stocked into lake erie but they quit awhile back. people only talk about catching them on rare ocassions? I wish I knew for sure. for now on I will always keep a eye out now. I never knew there was any around.

Old 11-07-2008, 01:14 AM

forgot I took a couple pix of that mystery fish!(coho salmon) now that I look at these pics I think it is one for sure!!! what do you guys think?

Old 11-07-2008, 10:22 AM

Snaggy is on a distinguished road

Nice fish!!! Man, I have to stop checking the forum, I'm itchin' like crazy to get in the river but have no time of late. Hopefully this weekend I'll get an hour or two down there. That mystery fish is a bit odd looking for a Steelhead. You may have caught a natural!

<((((~{
Old 11-07-2008, 12:18 PM

pdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the rough

Nice fish GMcF. I'm getting ready to try my first steelheading when we get some rain. I used to dock a boat in Vermilion in the late 80s. Never a thought of steel in the river. Though we did catch some trolling for walleyes..........way out at the sand bar. Maybe we'll run into each other on the river some time. Continued good luck.