The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2008, 06:36 PM

morphius will become famous soon enough
Default Are steelhead weight shy?

Alright, then my dad has those tin shots which i absolutley hate and was wondering if they have any affect on the steelhead in taking the fly? If you do not know, the tin shot is like a weighted ball of aluminum foil.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:56 AM

alexthegrrr8 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Are steelhead weight shy?

I'm very much a newbie to fly-fishing let alone steelie fly-fishing and I know for certain that there are others much more knowledgeable on this topic. But while I ws down in Erie I grabbed a publication on "Steelhead Alley". In it they had everything from recipes to identifying steelhead. There was one article in particular that might pertain to you question.

It was called "Winter Steelheading" In it they mentioned the type of set-up to use which was a leader (0X) tied to a swivel, and in tail was a tippet 2-3 feet in length (they said the lightest you could get away with). Above the swivel you planted a split shot. In general, trout (not too sure about Lake) are a skiddish fish. Even a line too thick can spook them.

So to answer your question are steelhead weight shy? IMHO...yes! I think it also depends on what type of body of water you are pursuing them on. Is it a smaller stream/creek?

Again, I'm sure that there are more qualified people out here to help you.

Alex
Old 11-10-2008, 03:22 PM

Snaggy is on a distinguished road

If you want to avoid the shot you can tie (or buy) weighted or bead headed flies or egg patterns. You can also use fly sinkant that may help get it down. I've had more luck with my bead headed wooly buggers and nymphs than anything else. I do put shot on when my flies aren't ticking the bottom in faster deeper water but so far I've had no need for extra weight in the alley due to no rain (until now). The problem with weight is the increased chance of wrapping under rocks. Rule of thumb here...start with less and add if you have to. I may try the swivel but I'm weary of not being able to present as well. I don't loop the leader to the line either. I didn't like the way the line reacted. I try to keep the line, leader and tippet one solid piece. Seems to cast beautifully in the Northern Ohio wind.

Let us know when you get one!
Snaggy
<((((~{
Old 01-01-2009, 03:11 AM

Douglas Wesson is on a distinguished road

What I've found is steelhead are a little different than trout. Steelhead don't seem to be bothered by "beating the water" and I put lots of weight on some of my Steelhead flies and that didn't seem to deter them, but I won't fish for steelies in a creek. For reference I fish in Oregon and Washington in the mid Columbia gorge.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:36 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

IMO the answer is yes....depending on where you are fishing...I use as little weight as possible when Indicator fishing...Also I don't understand the need for a swivel; I use blood knots or surgeon knots.

Dan
Old 01-14-2009, 04:56 AM

Douglas Wesson is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuronRiverDan View Post
IMO the answer is yes....depending on where you are fishing...I use as little weight as possible when Indicator fishing...Also I don't understand the need for a swivel; I use blood knots or surgeon knots.

Dan
Swivel???? Wow, the only time I used a swivel was when I used to drift fish for steelhead, but that got to easy, so I moved to fly fishing. I'd agree, what do you need a swivel for. Just doesn't seem right for fly fishing.
Old 01-29-2009, 10:43 PM

pc40chas is on a distinguished road

i live in northeast ohio and i get to fish for these great lakes steelhead all the time. i use shots, and sometimes if im not getting any hits ill add 1 more. seems more times than others i didnt have enough on to start. im not afraid to use shots, i am afraid to use a swivel. just dont get it
Old 01-29-2009, 11:08 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Morph,

Steelhead are not weight shy. They like other fish are "People Shy" once they are conditioned (learn) to associate weight, flies, swivels, etc with people they become spooky period.

We could debate this but a debate will not change the fact that fish are scared of big animals that throw stuff at them and hover them, that would be you if you are not careful. I'm sneaky and I catch steelhead, trout, salmon, and char with or without weight. So think about what your doing along a predator / prey basis and quit acting like you are playing golf and your catch ratio will go through the roof. If you see people thrashing the water and looming over some fish don't join in and then try to figure out why the fish didn't take the fly like the one in the magazine article. Move on, let the others beat the water and keep changing flies, find a fish who has not had the **** scared out of it and be careful to sneak up to a good casting spot, toss in your fly and see what happens.

I hope you read all of this and can see the common sense in what I'm telling you.

Ard
Old 01-29-2009, 11:23 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Wesson View Post
Swivel???? Wow, the only time I used a swivel was when I used to drift fish for steelhead, but that got to easy, so I moved to fly fishing. I'd agree, what do you need a swivel for. Just doesn't seem right for fly fishing.
I use a swivel on my steelhead set up too. I make a mono leader blood knotted 6 or 7 ft then use the smallest swivel I can find and tie it on then add my 2 or 3 ft of flourocarbon to it. that way if I get a snag or the fish breaks my line I still have my leader left usually and don't loose anything but the flouro. I use 8lb test flouro but had heard to try 6lb also. also I do not believe steelhead are that shy. I have caught some 20 feet or so away from me when the water was gin clear.I have also caught a steelhead once before and it got downstream of me and I had to cross the river right next to a pocket of steel to chase it down. so I proceed to catch the fish let it go and come back through next to the pocket again and my buddy casted out and hooked into one that I was standing 10 feet from just about a min before. I do wear camoflauge and walk stealthy tho if that helps any??? I had a smallmouth chase my clouser once all the way to my feet and it actually jumped out of the water after it and almost bounced of my leg! I also have used shot but never caught a steelie on a nymph or egg yet but thats cause I usually use a streamer like a bugger or clouser instead

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 01-30-2009, 03:15 AM

Nooksack Mac is on a distinguished road

As the years go by, I use weighted flies (wire-wrapped under the body) or flies with dense metal eyes less and less. Especially since I got into spey fishing, I find the bottom by choosing a longer, denser changeable sinking tip. Remember, steelhead aren't going to be holding twelve feet deep under something the kayakers pull out and eyeball before attempting. Lastly, I imagine that any fly looks more like a living creature if it isn't literally bottom-bumping, which is usually a prelude to bottom-hooking.