The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2011, 07:20 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Are you fishing for Brook Trout?

For the Brook Trout aficionados

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-17-2011, 08:18 PM

Walter1023 is a glorious beacon of lightWalter1023 is a glorious beacon of lightWalter1023 is a glorious beacon of lightWalter1023 is a glorious beacon of lightWalter1023 is a glorious beacon of light

Ard:
I love brook trout although they constitute probably 1% of the trout I actually catch and that is only because in early season I hit the only brook trout stream in the area (kind of sad as they are the only true native resident of NY)... they are beautiful little creatures and less savvy than the popular browns (like the girl next door that doesn't realize she's 10 times prettier than Paris Hilton). ...but my 2nd most memorable one I ever caught was last week (my first is my most memorable). I was fishing the heavily fished and technical "Farmington River" in Ct after making the 90 minute drive. I caught a few nice browns via dry fly during the day (the most popular residents)......I then was casting to a riser along the bank and much to my amazement pulled in a 10" Brookie ...which I never caught there before ......my last fish of the day before I departed was a rainbow - not a rarity but less prevalent than browns - and on the way back to my car it dawned on me......I got my first ever "SLAM" - which i never anticipated or expected - such is the uncertainty of flyfishing - and I credit all to that lone beautiful little Brookie.
Old 06-17-2011, 08:25 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

Walter,

I love hearing stories such as that, it's been a while since I've seen you post. I'm glad this thread got you on the board with a good memory.

Ard

Old 06-19-2011, 03:52 PM

lancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of light

Beautiful little fly, I might have to get some stuff to whip a few of them up.
Old 06-19-2011, 04:36 PM
Administrator

If you have and difficulty just get in touch and I will help you to understand how to set the wings so that they will stand up to casting and the teeth of fish. A real bummer is when you tie a beauty and the wings come lose before the fly has even caught a fish. They are a lot of work at the vise but I have always caught enough on them to make it well worth the work.

Ard

Old 07-24-2011, 02:52 PM

vatroutbumintx is on a distinguished road

Great-looking fly. I'll have to try it.
Old 07-24-2011, 05:21 PM
Administrator

I lived in North Central Pennsylvania for a long time and that was the only streamer I used for brook trout. It worked on Slate Run & Cedar Run Brookies and they have seen all the woolly buggers they need. Seldom did they resist Oatmans pattern.

Old 07-25-2011, 08:26 AM

BlueDun has a spectacular aura aboutBlueDun has a spectacular aura about

Hardyreels: how about posting the pattern? Or, if it is already somewhere on this forum, please post the link!
Old 07-25-2011, 01:15 PM
Administrator

I added the recipe to the original post at the top of the thread. These were my Brook Trout streamer back east. I did catch many a fish on the Nine Three but the Oatman Minnow became my favorite. Sure you can probably catch them on an olive woolly bugger but using one of these has a certain intrinsic value that a fly tier / fisherman or woman can truly appreciate.

Ard

Old 01-03-2014, 08:40 PM
Administrator

This thread doesn't address techniques for fishing the streamers but puts forth the Lew Oatman pattern for consideration when tying trout streamers.

Ard